Boiled Over

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AFBrewGuy

Reaction score
Hello,

I am making my first batch tonight and after having the LME and hops dissolve I brought everything back up to a boil. I turned around for a second to clean a piece of equipment off and my pot boiled over. While cleaning it up I noticed quite a bit of my hops being wiped off the stovetop. So I just wanted to know if the batch is salvageable or not. I am making a American style wheat from Muntons. What I am thinking is the beer just won't be as bitter now. Thanks for your help.

You'll be fine... Took me 4 brews before I finally had one sans boilover...

Good luck and let us know how it turned out...

:mug:

You'll be fine....boilovers happen to the best of us...and a few particles of hops spilled over won't be noticeable...

Relax....it will be fine.

*hint* Oxyclean will do wonders for the burnt gunk on those tray things under the burners, just stick them in the sink with hot water and a couple scoops, let them soak over night and the caramel shoud be gone..

One of my favorite products are fermcap foam control drops...2 drops.gallon and no fears of boilovers..I've come up to about 3/4 inches below the top of a pot with wort and no problems.

Another thing to keep nearby is a spray bottle with water...if it starts to climb, spray the foam and it will fall back down.

Thank you both very much for the quick responses. I will definitely let you know how everything turns out.

Also thanks for the tip on cleaning the metal trays things.

I have heard about fermcap drops a few times... So they are worth it? (granted, I have a keggle and I am only doing 5 gal batches at the moment)

I have heard about fermcap drops a few times... So they are worth it? (granted, I have a keggle and I am only doing 5 gal batches at the moment)

Yeah....Like I said, I can go almost to the top of either my turkey fryer pot or my 5 gallon stove top pot and get a hard boil going....and even go take a half hour nap for the first part of a 90 minute boil...:D

QUICK TIP: Wait till after your wort settles down to a good boil before adding the first hops.It will keep you from losing them to B.O. and you won't have to keep scraping them back down.Learned this boiling 7gals. in 8 gal. pot.

Back