stil??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd

Reaction score
My LHBS has a still for sale, he told me it is legal to distill at home? I've always heard it is not legal any ideas?

It is not legal in the United States to distill spirits as a beverage without a license and paying taxes. It is legal to distill ethanol for use as fuel without paying taxes, but you still must obtain a license. It is however, legal to buy and use a still to distill water and essential oils from botanicals without paying taxes or obtaining a license. Even in those cases though, I believe, but I'm not sure, that the size of the still allowed is regulated.

John

From http://homedistiller.org/ Click on Introduction | Legality:

What all this basically comes down to is ...
1. Americans can own a still, but it must be no larger than 1 gallon, and may only be used for water purification or the extraction of essential oils from plants.
2.Dealers/manufacturers of stills in the United States must surrender any address or other info on any customer who buys a still to the BATF, when they request it.(no warrant is required.)

What this means is that anyone who buys a still in America can at any time expect a knock at the door and a man with a badge demanding to see what is being done with the still they bought. How this effects the companies seen advertising 5 gallon stills for use as a water purifier, was not listed, nor is there any info on solar stills. It is probably VERY illegal to import a still too.

If you're trying the angle of making alcohol as a fuel (yes, this is legal!), see Steve Spence's site for all the details.

Whats the cost of doing it right ? Don advises ...

State (varies from $75-$3,150 per year) & a Federal license ($500 per year) plus State & Fed. production taxes. Registration of all supplies, suppliers, formulas (Subject to classification and approval) and label reg. (Subject to classification and approval). More paperwork than money. If you already have a brewery or winery (bonded premisis) an "alternation of premisis" may be obtained to operate a distillery (with the additional license) on site. Well worth the trouble, because there is still room at the top.

Latest posts

Back