Hello to all Homebrewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davichris77

Reaction score
I am just starting to homebrew and was curious about " the beer that made Marquette famous" it was called "drei kaiser" and then the name was changed to "castle brew" Carl Meeske was the brewmaster and had relocated to Dulth, MN
Any information would be greatly appericated.

Can't help you with your question, David, but I just want to pass on a big hearty 'Welcome!' to the forums. You should post your general location in your profile so we know where you're from.

Marquette's famous? No kidding!!

A lot of people don't know word origins. Kaiser comes from Caesar. So does Tsar/Tzar.

Drei Kaiser? Three Emporerss/Kings)? Sounds off (not right).

Are you sure it isn't Der Kaiser?

Castle Brew would translate to Schlossbrau, or Steinbrau.

Willkommen!!!

Did the obvious google: Hope that helps.
http://www.americanbreweriana.org/history/duluth.htm

Advertising from the Upper Peninsula Brewing Company indicates they tried to market a dark porter, but their beer drinking community didn't want it. The company's flagship brand was Drei Kaiser, translated in German to "Three Kings." It, too, was a lager and had a widespread reputation for purity, good taste and health benefits. The advertising reflected this view by saying "only spring water was used in its making," and "your doctor will tell you that it is health-giving." Drei Kaiser was hailed as "the beer that made Marquette famous." The marketing campaign proved successful. In 1906, the company announced that it was shipping four carloads of beer a day and it had storage houses in six towns.

In 1913, growing militancy by Kaiser Wilhelm on the eve of World War I, fostered anti-German sentiment in this country. The name "Kaiser" applied to an American beer was not popular, and Meeske and company officials did not want their beer to be associated with the German leader. Charles Meeske decided to change the name of his flagship brand to appease the American community. Drei Kaiser became "Castlebrew," named after the castle-like buildings of its brewery. The slogan, "The beer that made Marquette famous," was retained for the new brand.

So does that mean you're in Duluth or in the UP. We already have one of dem dare Yoopers.

Well, I currently live in Oshkosh but am orginally from Marquette and was always intersted in the strange castle building. That was the sight of the brewery and the Mining Journal publish a story reccently about it. Just curious if anybody had heard of this brew.

davichris77 said:
Well, I currently live in Oshkosh but am orginally from Marquette and was always intersted in the strange castle building. That was the sight of the brewery and the Mining Journal publish a story reccently about it. Just curious if anybody had heard of this brew.

I have now.:mug:
Welcome, Neighbor! I live near Eldorado.
Did you check out the SOB's? (Society of Oshkosh Brewers) I've never been to one of their meetings, but have heard some good things. They meet at O'Marro's, near the airport.

I wonder if Yooper knows about this brewery.

OllllO thanks for the americanbreweriana site...I love brewing histories.

Davichris welcome from the lower end of the state! :mug:

Back