Frustrations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottland

Reaction score
I just had a beer score a 43 in one competition and a 18 in another. Obviously something is wrong (the beer tastes fantastic, so there's no way it warrants an 18).

I might have been careless when bottling off the keg or possibly they switched my beer with someone else's.

That's all, I'm just venting.

It's almost impossible to get an "18" with a non-contaminated beer. It sounds like there was an issue with contamination, either in the bottle or through the bottling set up.

That was my thought, maybe I was careless when I bottled it. The only reason I'm thinking it was switched with another entry is: I bottled all four beers for the two comps at the same time out of the same keg.

Will judges ask for the second bottle of an entry if one is obviously infected?

Wow 43 that's awsome. I can't wait to get a beer in the 40's. That must be some damn good beer. What kind of beer is it?

Imperial IPA - I posted the recipe (Furry Penguin under my name). I thrilled with how the beer turned out, and even more excited to score a 43, but then to score an 18 (average of 16 and 19) in another comp I was pretty shocked.

That was my thought, maybe I was careless when I bottled it. The only reason I'm thinking it was switched with another entry is: I bottled all four beers for the two comps at the same time out of the same keg.

Will judges ask for the second bottle of an entry if one is obviously infected?

We have, in the comps I've judged. But that doesn't mean that all do that.
We've opened a couple of foamers and tasted and went "Oh, grab the other bottle for this entrant" to the steward. The only issue is that then they can't advance to mini-BOS or BOS since there is no other bottle. I think each time, though, the second bottle was just as bad so they scored low anyway.

Seems pretty lucky for two bottles to be badly infected, two to be perfect, and both the perfect ones to make it to the same competition...

I mean, I'll probably never know exactly what happened, but it is just crazy for 4 scores for the same beer to be 16, 19 and then 41 and 44.

Back