Idea's for 2nd brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tossie

Reaction score
I bottled my first ever brew a few days ago (which is the coopers lager kit) and while I wait for bottles to be fully carbonated I'm gonna plan my next brew.

Link to my first brew thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/first-brew-attempt-253918/

I'm thinking of going with 'Muntons Premium Pilsner' as I'm interested in brewing a Pilsner beer. (if someone has tried it and does not recommend it please mention it :p )

I was wondering if someone could recommend the type of malt extract I should use as this will be my first time using it. I used the dextrose that came with the coopers lager kit last time.

:mug:

A true pilsner is a lager and needs to be fermented around 55 degrees

Room temperature for my last brew was usually 20 Celsius which is 68 fahrenheit. Might be tricky to keep the temps down. :confused:

Get the lightest malt extract you can find. They do make pilsner malt extract, and that would obviously be your best bet.

Tossie said:
I bottled my first ever brew a few days ago (which is the coopers lager kit) and while I wait for bottles to be fully carbonated I'm gonna plan my next brew.

Link to my first brew thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/first-brew-attempt-253918/

I'm thinking of going with 'Muntons Premium Pilsner' as I'm interested in brewing a Pilsner beer. (if someone has tried it and does not recommend it please mention it :p )

I was wondering if someone could recommend the type of malt extract I should use as this will be my first time using it. I used the dextrose that came with the coopers lager kit last time.

:mug:

I've just brewed this same kit I added 1kg of sprayed malt and 150g of head and body enhancer

I havnt got to try it yet its in secondary at the moment gona leave it 2 mature for a month or so then ill bottle it. Hopfully its good ill post how it turns out and we can compare results

Yes, a true Pilsner should be brewed at low temps; however, give the kit a try and it will probably be quite drinkable.

B

A true pilsner is one of the hardest brews to make right. You will need to control fermentation to 50-55 degrees, as well as give it a long lagering period. For it being your 2nd brew, that's a long time to wait without having a pipeline built up. Instead, think about some of your favorite ales. IPA's, pale ales, porters, stouts? These would be ready to drink much faster and would be easier given your temperature range.

Get the lightest malt extract you can find. They do make pilsner malt extract, and that would obviously be your best bet.

Thanks for the tip :mug:

I've just brewed this same kit I added 1kg of sprayed malt and 150g of head and body enhancer

I havnt got to try it yet its in secondary at the moment gona leave it 2 mature for a month or so then ill bottle it. Hopfully its good ill post how it turns out and we can compare results

The Pilsner kit? That's handy, will be interesting to see how they compare :)

Brew something you like and you will drink.

I learned this with a wheat beer the hard way.

Tuborg is usually my beer of choice so I'm used to drinking a light pilsner.

Yes, a true Pilsner should be brewed at low temps; however, give the kit a try and it will probably be quite drinkable.

B

I'm hoping it will be a tad better than just drinkable :D

A true pilsner is one of the hardest brews to make right. You will need to control fermentation to 50-55 degrees, as well as give it a long lagering period. For it being your 2nd brew, that's a long time to wait without having a pipeline built up. Instead, think about some of your favorite ales. IPA's, pale ales, porters, stouts? These would be ready to drink much faster and would be easier given your temperature range.

If there were ways for me to keep the temp of the fermentor down I wouldn't really mind the wait. Good things come to those who wait :p

I'm also a fan of stout which would be my choice should the pilsner brew turn out not to be worth while. Is there anything I could get that would help keep the temps down?

If there were ways for me to keep the temp of the fermentor down I wouldn't really mind the wait. Good things come to those who wait :p

I'm also a fan of stout which would be my choice should the pilsner brew turn out not to be worth while. Is there anything I could get that would help keep the temps down?

Most common answer is a fridge with a temperature controller

Are you buying a kit? If so check online you may be able to see the directions and decide whether you can ferment at the proper temperatures. If not try a different kit. There are many different suppliers that sell kits. They should come with everything you need or list what you would need to buy separately.

If you get a kit and follow the directions it should be quite a bit better that just drinkable. My first extract kit from Northern Brewers - Patersbier is as good as any commercial beer I have ever bought.

Are you buying a kit? If so check online you may be able to see the directions and decide whether you can ferment at the proper temperatures. If not try a different kit. There are many different suppliers that sell kits. They should come with everything you need or list what you would need to buy separately.

If you get a kit and follow the directions it should be quite a bit better that just drinkable. My first extract kit from Northern Brewers - Patersbier is as good as any commercial beer I have ever bought.

Can't seem to find the temperature info for that kit online.

Looks like the Pilsner is out of the question as I will struggle to keep the temperatures at the recommended degree range. I'm now thinking about trying 'Muntons Connoisseurs Export Stout' as I'm a fan of stout as well. Has anyone tried this? I'm going to get the 1kg Muntons spraymalt with the can as I keep hearing that you are better off swapping the Dextrose for a malt extract.

Back