First Brew Ferm. Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Z

Reaction score
Alright this is my first brew. Ingredients are 3Lb DME, 3.3Lb LME, .6oz amm. hops, .6oz Nugg. hops, and 15 Grams Ale yeast. Boiled then cooled (ended up dropping down to 40F- a little cooler than I thought it would go). Then oxygenated let and let it settle a little and added my started yeast. (Mixed 15grams dry yeast with 90F mix - 1cup preboiled water/ 1 cup beer mix -then left set for about 30-40mins. It is in a room that is dark and constantly at 65 degrees. About 3 hours after I mixed and sealed it all it started bubbling away. By 24hours in it was bubbling at about 2-3 bubbles pers second (assumed number, it was going to fast to count). At 48 hours it was down to 1 bubble every 34 seconds. I was just wondering if this huge dropoff was normal of if I should be worried about it. I was told to keep it in the ferm. for 2-3 weeks but at this rate by tommorow there will appear to be no more action. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
-Big_Z :drunk:

Sounds normal to me. Let it sit for another 3-4 weeks (ales like the additional time in primary).

Also just FYI, airlock activity is not normally a good measure of fermentation. If anything, the airlock is nothing more than an exhaust pipe which doesn't let nasties back in.

Hopefully you used a hydrometer to measure your SG and know the values you should be looking at for when things are wrapping up. I use 3-4 weeks as a general rule of thumb for ales though.
Congrats and welcome to the hobby!

Thanks for the quick responces. I shall fight the urge to mess with it and let it set and get its job done. Hobby isnt the word, more like addiction..Havent even tasted the first one yet and already got more ingredients and another primary ferm. so I can start another batch tommorow.

Awesome. The more batches you get under your belt and the more primaries you have, the easier it is to fight the urge to mess with stuff. Not messing with stuff is a good thing ;) Not to say taking readings with your hydrometer is a bad thing, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

Thanks for the quick responces. I shall fight the urge to mess with it and let it set and get its job done. Hobby isnt the word, more like addiction..Havent even tasted the first one yet and already got more ingredients and another primary ferm. so I can start another batch tommorow.

:mug: I just did my first batch at a friends and bought some so I can get going at home too.

Sounds normal to me. Let it sit for another 3-4 weeks (ales like the additional time in primary).

Also just FYI, airlock activity is not normally a good measure of fermentation. If anything, the airlock is nothing more than an exhaust pipe which doesn't let nasties back in.

Hopefully you used a hydrometer to measure your SG and know the values you should be looking at for when things are wrapping up. I use 3-4 weeks as a general rule of thumb for ales though.
Congrats and welcome to the hobby!

+1 to this ^

Gravity readings are the best indicator of fermentation progression.

As to the topic of fermentation timing - to further explain... after yeasts have consumed all the oxygen and sugars in the wort/beer, they turn and start eliminating compounds resposible for off-flavors in the beer. Removing beer from the yeast cake to soon can leave flavors inthere you don't want.

Practice patience... just wait...

Right on the money. Ive got batches planned for the next 4 weeks for 5 total batches. And I havent even tried my first one.\\

Take really good notes.

Back