Yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spot29er

Reaction score
Just did my first yeast starter and I was wondering has anyone ever had one blow off? I have it in a nice dark 70 deg. spot, but I would hate to see a mess if it goes a little crazy.

Thanks

Do you have it in a bottle or jug with plenty of headspace (air space at the top of the bottle)? Do you have an airlock on it? If yes to both, don't worry, you'll be fine.

I made a pretty big starter the other day. I made it much larger than normal because it was the first time I was using washed yeast so I put a lot of yeast and wort in there. The krausen on the starter did get pretty high and I was a bit worried about blowover, but it didn't happen. This was at about 70 degrees w/ 1056 yeast... In hindsight I probably used way too much yeast and way too much extract in the wort so under "normal" circumstances I don't expect it to happen again.

I just made up a starter tonight and I couldn't find the bung for the airlock on my 1/2 gallon jug that I use for the starter. So I just covered the just with sanitized foil... Wort volume is 1 quart, so there's quite a bit of head space. Is this going to be a problem?

I have mine in 1000ml flask with plenty of space and an airlock. I feel pretty good about it now, Thanks

A few months back I made a starter with some Wyeast 1275 I'd harvested from a Stout. I had about 3 cups of wort (1/2 cup of DME) in a 1 liter mason jar with tinfoil over the top. Not sure of the fermentation temp. When I got up the next morning the tinfoil was lying on the counter beside the jar and krausen was still flowing over the top of the jar. I think the krausen must have formed a seal with the foil and then the CO2 popped the foil right off the jar. Pitched it anyway (into a batch of pumpkin ale) and it turned out great - no infection. I did use a blowoff in the primary.

Back