How much is boiled off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Festmaster

Reaction score
What volume do you typically need to start at for a 10 gal batch so you actually have 10 gal after a 60 minute boil?

what about for a 5 gal batch for 60 min?

I calculated my boil off at about 1 gallon per hour through experimentation. It is a factor of the radius (or diameter) of your brew pot (exposed surface area)

It varies depending on relative humidity, elevation, boil vigor, and surface area of the boiling wort. With that said, a good average is 1.25 gallons more than the intended volume. So 11.25 should be pretty close. You wont know for sure until you actually do a brew day, or practice with boiling down some water for 60 minutes and see what your BOR is. Hope this helps.

As said above, you need to figure out the exact amount for yourself through actually doing it, but for me it is about 1 gallon every hour. Batch size does not matter if the strength of the boil is consistent.

Thanks for the input!

If I do end up with less than I want after the boil, say like 9 gal for a 10 gal batch, is it ok to just add water so as to bring the volume back up to 10 gal before I ferment it?

If I do end up with less than I want after the boil, say like 9 gal for a 10 gal batch, is it ok to just add water so as to bring the volume back up to 10 gal before I ferment it?

Yes, just be sure to add the extra water before the boil is over so you sanitize it.

Back