Carbonating mead that has flavored vodka added

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

White_Stag

Reaction score
Hey all!

I have a watermelon mead that I just made last week, and it has already hit my target gravity. It was made with almost all watermelon juice and hardly any water, and while it has a lot of flavor, it doesn't quite have the brightness in flavor I was looking for. I have never added a flavored vodka before, but I have herd it helps? The question I have though, is will a mead carbonate if vodka is added? It was my intention to carbonate this mead, and I don't want to mess with the ingredients if that will hinder it. Otherwise I'll just rack it onto some strawberries or something to boost flavor. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

If you add fruit/juice before/during primary you may get a big improvment in flavor by adding more fruit now and then letting it settle out again. That being said, your technique (making mead with essentially all juice) is how I make cyser, and it always comes out very apple-ey. Perhaps watermelon is a more delicate flavor than apple...still, I'd suggest just adding some more watermelon now if you want to boost that flavor.

Another thing to consider is that many melomels benefit from adding acid blend and/or tannin. You may want to consider putting very small amounts of these additions in a sample of your mead and check to see if that makes it "pop" the way you want.

Back