question about my first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSMottin

Reaction score
Initial recipe is as follows-

71B yeast
12 lb Meadowfoam honey
3.5 gal water

I wasn't able to test the SG when I first made the batch. The fermentation slowed considerably after 2 weeks. I tested the gravity at 1.000. After tasting, I added another 3 lbs of honey and 1/2 gal of water and it seems as though the yeast kicked back up. I am shooting for a medium show mead and the original recipe called for the total amount of water and honey that I've added. With the fact that I sort of staggered the honey addition, am I likely to be able to reach that level of sweetness with a the total amount of honey I've added or is it going to be solely dependent on whether or not the yeast exceeds the normal alcohol tolerance level?

71B yeast
12 lb Meadowfoam honey
3.5 gal water

I wasn't able to test the SG when I first made the batch. The fermentation slowed considerably after 2 weeks. I tested the gravity at 1.000. After tasting, I added another 3 lbs of honey and 1/2 gal of water and it seems as though the yeast kicked back up. I am shooting for a medium show mead and the original recipe called for the total amount of water and honey that I've added. With the fact that I sort of staggered the honey addition, am I likely to be able to reach that level of sweetness with a the total amount of honey I've added or is it going to be solely dependent on whether or not the yeast exceeds the normal alcohol tolerance level?

71B yeast
12 lb Meadowfoam honey
3.5 gal water

Total ingredients:

71B yeast
15 lb Meadowfoam honey
4.5 gal water

With the fact that I sort of staggered the honey addition, am I likely to be able to reach that level of sweetness with a the total amount of honey I've added or is it going to be solely dependent on whether or not the yeast exceeds the normal alcohol tolerance level?

Yes, you may find that you have rocket fuel for a while, until it mellows. It depends on several factors, but in a happy fermentation, the alcohol tolerance may be higher than average. The average for 71B is about 14% from what I know, so you may find it stalls at 13-15% and will remain sweet. It's pretty predictable that way.

The nice thing about that strain is that it metabolises more malic acid than many other strains, so I use it in fruits like native grapes, apples, and crabapples.

You should get a nice mead in the end, and it should stay sweet as well.

Back