Texas Mead Fest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jblaschke

Reaction score
Anyone going to the 2015 Texas Mead Fest? It's in Gruene this year, just a five minute drive from my house--naturally I have nothing ready to enter in their homebrew competition.

I'm really impressed with how this has taken off. The first year they were completely overwhelmed. I missed the second year in Seguin, but last year they were back in La Grange and things were run very smoothly. I entered a few bottles in the competition and received my highest scores ever, so I came away pretty jazzed. Looking forward to all the great mead tasting--one of the few places one can find mead that isn't all syrupy sweet. :mug:

Hopefully we'll cross paths. All the Texas meaderies (that I know of) set up for tastings, and while some offerings are so-so, I was amazed at the overall quality and variety.

Here's my writeup from 2012 and another from 2014, both in La Grange. Not sure how it will go over in Gruene, but we'll see.

Argh! How did I not know about this?

The timing on it stinks though. I'll just be getting back from vacation and won't be able to make this one.
Going to start planning for next year though.

I've been to Mead Fest at La Grange twice. Two years ago when it was in Seguin--just 20 minutes away from me--I had a conflict and couldn't make it. The fact that it is in Gruene this year is still kind of mind-boggling.

I'm also seriously looking into getting a couple of bee hives going on my new property. I'm planting lots of fruit trees and we plan to seed our acre yard with white clover and native wildflowers. They've have beekeepers at previous mead fests, so I'm hoping some will be around so I can pick their brains. :)

Aw Man, I would love to go, this is the first time I've heard of the event. But I don't think I can make this year's, maybe next year. I've got a brother in New Braunfels maybe I'll send him as my proxy. I want that souvenir wine glass! :mug:

I'd expect next year to be back in La Grange. They seem to rotate it around the state to boost awareness, but alternate years they return to Rohan Meadery--probably because that's the only active meadery that has the space and facilities to host it. Rohan really does have an excellent venue for this kind of thing.

Latest posts

Back