High Gravity - Bad Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeMade

Reaction score
I have attempted to make the same high gravity beer 2 times and both don't taste right. This is supposed to be a Mad Elf Clone - the recipe I found online somewhere. My beer does not taste like Mad Elf. Here is the recipe I used:

10 lbs. light DME
1.5 lbs. Belgian Munich (steep)
.25 lbs Belgian chocolate (steep)
.25 lbs crystal 20 (steep)
1 oz Hallertauer (75 min)
.05 oz Saaz (10 min)
2 lbs honey (flameout)
2 cans sweet cherries (secondary)
2 cans tart cherries (secondary)

Yeast - White labs wlp500

Room temp was about 70 degrees for all stages of brewing.

First attempt is started 1-8-11
Racked to secondary 1-30-11 - Cherries in secondary 2 weeks
Beginning Gravity - 1.090
Final Gravity - 1.013

Second attempt started 3-13-11 - Doubled all ingredients - 10 gallon batch
3-27-11 - racked to secondary - Cherries in secondary 2.5 months
Beginning Gravity - 1.090
Final Gravity - 1.014
Put half in carboy to bottle - other half in keg.

Both taste indescribable, but not like jet fuel. The second seems to be better with more cherry taste. They both have a rotten fruit taste, but the one that sat on the fruit longer seems to be better tasting - more like cherry and not as rotten.

I also made a Gulden Draak clone from AHB.
Beginning gravity 1.100 3-27-11
Racked to secondarry 4-2-11 Gravity 1.024
Kegged 5-1-11 - Forgot to take gravity or didn't write it down
Does not taste like Gulden Draak, but is OK. I expected it to be a little closer to the real thing. Perhaps I need to bottle it instead of kegging. It seems to be too Malty in comparison to Gulden Draak and is almost too sweet.

How long should I let these age in the kegs before dumping?
How long will they likely last at 10% in a keg before going bad at @65-70 degrees.
What is the correct time to leave fruit in a secondary?
What can I do different to get better beer or should I just try a different recipe.

Any help is appreciated. I don't want to keep making beer that is worse than the beer I can buy.

I made a Gulden Draak about a year or so ago and let it age in the bottle for at least 6 months before trying. A brew that big takes much longer to age. Give them time; they will get better.

Not a big flavored beer fan, but have made a blueberry before. I used blueberry juice, that helped give me a more constant flavor. Using real fruit (which we would all rather do) can cause bitterness or too much sweetness.

One thing I did learn was patience, let it sit on the yeast cake for a long period of time, and I would think keeping the temp towards the lower end of that suggested for the yeast would also make the clean up slower but it will do a better job and lower off taste.

Just like a real bbq, lower and slower adds better taste.

Back