sourcing bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ori

Reaction score
Have a can of Baron's Redwood Ale in the primary, and realized that my old supplies likely had been recycled (used to have ~100 stubbies that previously used for homebrew) -- ugh.

Anyways, question for Canadian folks -- which brands of commercial beer are non-twist-off? If I'm going to buy bottles, I figure they should be full of something :mug:

Also, in my searching I've read a few conflicting things: some people have successfully re-used twist off bottles with a bench capper, but with the ever-present caveat that the bottles are thinner and may break. But I've also read that Canadian twist-offs are thicker.

Any input on the topic would be appreciated.

A lot of craft brews are pry-offs. And imports. It'll depend on what you have in your local store, but if you can hold the bottle in your hand, it's easy to tell if it's a twist-off or not.

I've been buying Flying Monkeys Hoptical Illusion which comes in pry-offs. It's brewed in Barrie, so I don't know if it gets shipped to Alberta. I also just bought a case of Heritage Brewing Dark Ale that's bottled in old school pry-off stubbies. Brewed in Ottawa, so I don't know it it makes to Alberta, either.

You could try Sam Adams, it's pretty widely available. And tasty...

Can't help regarding the actual use of twist-offs. I never have, but mostly because I'm prejudiced :)

I suppose you could just put a few of each batch in twist-offs and see how they hold up. I'm more concerned with the seal than with breaking the bottles. You could weigh a few of each to see if there is a substantial difference in that regard.

I think I'm going to be spending a wee bit of time peeking into boxes tonight, but thanks for the suggestions.

Have a can of Baron's Redwood Ale in the primary, and realized that my old supplies likely had been recycled (used to have ~100 stubbies that previously used for homebrew) -- ugh.

Anyways, question for Canadian folks -- which brands of commercial beer are non-twist-off? If I'm going to buy bottles, I figure they should be full of something :mug:

Also, in my searching I've read a few conflicting things: some people have successfully re-used twist off bottles with a bench capper, but with the ever-present caveat that the bottles are thinner and may break. But I've also read that Canadian twist-offs are thicker.

Any input on the topic would be appreciated.

I collected the following in the last three months

Brava and heineken bottles are pry off, they are 330ml each....about 60
I have a bunch of 500ml bottles my friends gave me after Xmas. about 40
and I have 24 plastic bottles plus caps <$11 local supplier in Hamilton, ON
Also 18 Grolsch 500 ml bottles, and 2 x 1L bottles from IKEA

Deltac

I've also found that Michelob bottles are pry off (the amber bock was,anyway),& the German Paulaner bottles are as well,but only 11.2oz vs 12oz for ours. And,as mentioned,many craft or "micro" brews.:mug:

Go to your local beverage center that reclaims deposit bottles and ask if you can buy them back. Always works for me.

Back