Dumb Newb Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xav

Reaction score
Ok, I know this is stupid, and many of you may be rolling your eyes at my question. I used the search feature and couldnt find exactly what I was looking for. My question is what if I have a clear plastic carboy, can that work instead of a glass one. I havent read anywhere on any site of anyone using these, I am guessing the plastic somehow taints the taste of the brew, but could that be cleared up with some cleaning/sanitizing?

Thanks in advance
Brian

What kind of plastic? The "Better Bottles" are fine, because they are PET. They transfer hardly any oxygen through them, which makes them almost as good as a glass carboy. However, other plastics will allow more oxegen to pass through, which can have a negative impact on the beer's flavor. I couldn't tell you which ones specifically (I'm a noob, myself), but check what kind of plastic it is and tell us. There should be one of those recycle symbols on there with a number, what's that number?

So... If I had ample access to plastic carboys that feed water coolers, that may not be a good idea? I'll post the recycle number on those as well.Sorry Xav, didn't mean to hijack your thread, but that is a good question!

thanks to all who gave advice, dont worry that wasnt even really a threadjack, it gave me some good advice as well. I am just going to have to buy some glass carboys, no biggie. Welcome to the addiction I have been told :)

xav said:
thanks to all who gave advice, dont worry that wasnt even really a threadjack, it gave me some good advice as well. I am just going to have to buy some glass carboys, no biggie. Welcome to the addiction I have been told :)
You might think about "Better Bottles" They are priced about the same as glass and Are PET.. I am switching to them as I retire my glass.. this decision was made when looking at the scars left on my hands and shins from a 6.5 gallon carboy that broke while being cleaned.

Many people think plastic carboys are bad because of the possibility of oxygen diffusing through the plastic and causing oxidation of the beer.

I'm certainly no expert, but considering the amount of time that the beer is usually kept in the carboy, I doubt that this is really an issue.

See http://www.grapestompers.com/glass_carboys.asp for a fairly good comparison of the advantages and disadvantages of glass vs plastic.

The only thing there that I would disagree with is "Oxygen diffusion across barrier more likely during long term storage. Can you say vinegar?"

Vinegar is caused by an infection, not oxidation.

I've been using glass for 26 years, and have never broken or retired a carboy yet.

Before that, I used plastic, and had to replace them every year or two (but the plastic in those days was not as good as it is now).

budbo. Have you tried wearing rubber gloves when handling the wet carboys? They give a much better grip and are much cheaper than converting to PEP.

Hope this helps.

-a.

Also, keep in mind that most, if not all plastic water cooler carboys are only 5 gallons in volume. Not enough head space for a primary fermentation, IMHO. I use nothing but Better-Bottles, and occasionally, 6.5 gallon plastic buckets. Perhaps someday I will even invest in a temperature controlled stainless steel conical or two. Hey I can dream can't I?

John

Ya If you broke a carbouy it might have had issues to begin with. Those pear shaped Demi-Johns are real thin. Friend had one blow up cleaning it with real hot water. I now clean mine with warm water. I gave away all my plastic carbouys a few years ago. They just don't stay clean enugh for me.

So how do I find out about the usefulness of the "recycle number". I have several plastic carboys marked with a "7", that contained drinking water at some time. Are they neither suitable for beer or wine?

usc_cop said:
So how do I find out about the usefulness of the "recycle number". I have several plastic carboys marked with a "7", that contained drinking water at some time. Are they neither suitable for beer or wine?

Here is a link to a resource to explain what type of plastic is represented by the recycle number. BTW #7 is considered to be the "other" plastic. It contains material from all or some of the 6 other types. Meaning that there is no uniformity of construction and in my opinion would be the least desirable to use for beer or wine making.

John

I now use Better Beer PET plastic only I to have ruined a batch of beer because of breakage on glass not mention there really light and easy to handel. as far as cleaning dont use really hot water 180+ they will melt. I use them for secondary only I ferment in a bucket.
JJ

Back