What size holes for basket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL.. I'm moving 'from' traditional methods...

I don't want to go to three vessels (or even two again).. so I will have to figure out a way to make it all work.... Maybe I won't be able to recirc, who knows... but in the end, my hope is to put all the work into the design/build end of it, so that the brewing part is brain dead simple/easy/efficient as it can be....

There is some bias in my switch to three vessel. I am looking to make the move from the garage to my basement in the near future. I will then have limited vertical room for hoisting. Going single level three vessel will make that possible. I'll trade washing the extra equipment for hauling it from the basement to garage and back every brew day!

One of the things that I am reading about BIAB recirc experiences others have had is that the size of the crush is 'critical'... It has to be larger than I was typically doing before...

I had tried all kinds of different crush sizes too. Part of why I decided to give up is that no matter how coarsely I crushed there were still plenty of fine particles to clog the bag. I had reduced my efficiency from the 80's with straight up BIAB down into the 60's trying to make things work. There must be something about the structure of a traditional grain bed that captures those particles without plugging every possible path for the wert.

You might want to check out post #7 of this thread of mine. I love BrewHardware, but I am concerned that if you don't control the flow carefully those false bottoms will crush like my pizza pan did. When that bag gets clogged it puts more pressure than I would ever imagine on that bottom. Surely Bobby's false bottoms are stronger than my aluminum pizza pan, just not sure if they are strong enough if you get a stuck recirc.

I just want to emphasize again, I think BIAB is great. It really got me started on all grain long before I could have managed to go the traditional route. I think it's virtue is in KISS. When we get into all this fancy stuff it doesn't seem to work as well. (For me anyway.)

I'm just not understanding why you need a bag with loops. You have the perfect set up to just wrap a loop of cord around the bag, just like I do, hook the loop to your crane, and lift away!

As @Wilserbrewer said, loops attached/sewn to the bag would be a potential weak spot. Using a cord the way I do, the weight is evenly distributed across the bag, leaving no concerns for tearing. It's cheap, easy and effective.

Well, for one, the loops will be at about five and a half feet off the floor.. Then I can just grab them hook them to the clevis and lift... To use the long wilser bag and tie it over I would have to get on a ladder.. One of the main 'activities' I'm trying to do away with over my old system...

And like I said, it opens up some possibilities for the future...

As to weakness, I guess we'll find out... But I didn't see any complaints about that issue when I was researching brewing bags on the web.. Mostly just comments about how sturdy and durable the bags are...

Again, the only real concern I have is the 250 micron vs 400 micron mesh... ;)

You might want to check out post #7 of this thread of mine. I love BrewHardware, but I am concerned that if you don't control the flow carefully those false bottoms will crush like my pizza pan did. When that bag gets clogged it puts more pressure than I would ever imagine on that bottom. Surely Bobby's false bottoms are stronger than my aluminum pizza pan, just not sure if they are strong enough if you get a stuck recirc.

Yeah I read through all of those stories the other day.. I'm thinking that if I have issues, I'll find a way to create my own sturdier legs/support....

In the end I may just do it the old fashioned way and just soak them, but I will use recirc regardless, even if it's bypassing the grains, if for nothing more than to just keep consistent temperature throughout the keggle...

Okay, so I received and installed my new false bottom from @Bobby_M....

There is only about 1/2" clearance between the top of the grid (where the bag full of grains will sit) and the top of the heater element..

This seems close to me... Should I get longer screws and raise it up another 1/2" ?

Or even more than that?

brewry-build-1.jpg

Back