Keezer - Serving vs. Lagering Temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rudeboy

Reaction score
I've posted before about whether I should build a lagering chest or a kegenator and a lot of people said do one for both. So I’ve decided I’m going to get a 10 Cu. Ft freezer. I think I can get about three carboys and a couple of cornies in there no problem.

But then I started thinking I’ll have it down at 35 F for a couple of months each lager batch. Which doesn’t really work for serving say a stout. I realize that no matter how you cut it often there will have to be a compromise in serving temps for any multi keg kegenator but 35 F seems really cold for almost any beer.

What do people around here do?
Dedicated lagering chest?

Rudeboy

Beerrific said:
Why do you have to lager at 35? Why not lager at serving temp?

I don't know. That's just the instructions I've seen here.

Actually that raises a good question. Most things I've read say ferment at 11 C for around three weeks and then Lager at around 2 C for a few weeks to a few months.

That's a pretty big range. I realize it might depend on the recipe but in general for those who do lager what are the times and temps? (Most recipes are very vague, especially in regards to the length of lagering)

One of the reasons I want to lager is to have a proper Bock for springtime. Should I be thinking about getting going on that first thing in the new year?

Thanks
Rudeboy

Beerrific said:
If you go by this, you should be good to lager around an OK serving temp.

<<The temperature difference between the primary phase and the lager phase should be roughly 10°F.
Nominal lagering times are 3 - 4 weeks at 45°F, 5 - 6 weeks at 40°F, or 7 - 8 weeks at 35°F.>> John Palmer

That makes sense. So I can lager at "serving" temps and it will be ready sooner. OK now I understand.

10 foot Keezer looking better all the time.

Rudeboy

ps for completeness here is the next paragraph by Mr. Palmer:

<<A common question is, "If the beer will lager faster at higher temperatures, why would anyone lager at the low temperature?" Two reasons: first, in the days before refrigeration when lager beers were developed, icehouses were the common storage method - it's tradition. Second, the colder lagering temperatures seem to produce a smoother beer than warmer temperatures. This would seem to be due to the additional precipitation and settling of extraneous proteins (like chill haze) and tannins that occur at lower temperatures.>>

That's what I'm doing at the moment.

I like my beers at around 10C (50F) so that worked out ok for fermenting as the warmth from fermenting seemed to keep it at around 11 - 12C.

I don't mind my beers a bit cooler - 5C (41F) so at the moment I'm lagering at that temp.

Seemed a little too easy, hopefully it works out ok.

Back