I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers to you Pappy. Hard to believe this thread has lasted as long as it has. You're a good guy Passedpawn and I'm super happy to know you.

Ok.. That's pretty mushy but I don't do sly macho comments to well. Haha

Cheers to you my friend! [emoji3]

I'm happy it's here too Dan! Where else could I post random stuff like the following.

I used to do a lot of traveling, overseas. One night, while trying to get to sleep on an overseas flight, I heard the following song. It was in my head. I came back and bought a piano and took lessons and learned to play it.

This little blond is unbelievable. For those who like classical and/or piano, check out her Rachmaninoff Concerto #2 (one of my all time faves) and Beethoven Moonlight sonata. Also, NPR commentator wrote a book about this song, can't remember the name, but I read it. Look up Noah Adams.

For your late night soundrack, Valentina Lisitsa. Schumann. For classical fans, she's a freak of nature, you'll like.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHlfNYY1YIY[/ame]

Hey guys, just wanted to jump in and say hello. Been a while since I've had some lengthy down time. About to be off in another 4 hours for the weekend. Crap ton of chores to do this weekend, but today after getting a few hours of sleep will be keg day for several batches Ive been working on over the past month or so.

How's everyone been?

I'm happy it's here too Dan! Where else could I post random stuff like the following.

I used to do a lot of traveling, overseas. One night, while trying to get to sleep on an overseas flight, I heard the following song. It was in my head. I came back and bought a piano and took lessons and learned to play it.

This little blond is unbelievable. For those who like classical and/or piano, check out her Rachmaninoff Concerto #2 (one of my all time faves) and Beethoven Moonlight sonata. Also, NPR commentator wrote a book about this song, can't remember the name, but I read it. Look up Noah Adams.

For your late night soundrack, Valentina Lisitsa. Schumann. For classical fans, she's a freak of nature[emoji3], you'll like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHlfNYY1YIY

That was very peaceful. I thought of two things listening to that. Beautiful girl [emoji3] and amazing skillful fingers...made me renew my awe for hands. They are one of the most amazing attributes of human beings. Among quite a few others we are blessed with[emoji3]

Hey guys, just wanted to jump in and say hello. Been a while since I've had some lengthy down time. About to be off in another 4 hours for the weekend. Crap ton of chores to do this weekend, but today after getting a few hours of sleep will be keg day for several batches Ive been working on over the past month or so.

How's everyone been?

Bigken!

Glad to hear all is well! A busy life is a good one. As long as you get some time for yourself and rest once in awhile. [emoji3]

Bigken!

Glad to hear all is well! A busy life is a good one. As long as you get some time for yourself and rest once in awhile. [emoji3]

Very true words. It's too easy to get caught up in life's demands. It might sound selfish to say you have to take care of yourself first. But I don't thinks that's selfish. Maybe a person needs much self upkeep or just a little, either way if you're not at your best how can you take care of others. Life balance stuff, not always easy.

Cheers!

Dan

Finally a taste of spring today. I had the three boys all to myself. My youngest (7yo) had his heart set on riding the old power wheels. They are shot. Complete junk at this point. I did my best for him and he got a short ride. It breaks my heart but he is too big for them even if they weren't garbage. It's sad to grow up and have to move on...

Just came in from a days mowing about an hour ago and I'm beat. Very soon, gonna have to get me some top soil delivered to do something about these old stump holes as they are beating me to death.

I got 8.5 acres mowed, trim done and decided to call it quits. The bushes and beds can wait till later. It was a beautiful day, sunny and breezy. Got a bit more sun on the neck than I planned for, but I could not have asked for a better chore day.

Yesterday I kegged all the beer I've been making to host my crawfish boil. 8 carboys emptied and washed. I still have a carboy filled with Kolsch that I added 2lbs of honey to. I was waiting to see if fermentation was going to do anything. So far nothing, notta zilch, Not even a bubble. I guess me cold crashing for a week knocked out all the yeast. I'll give it a few more days to make sure its not going to do anything and go ahead and keg it up. This was an experiement by adding the honey into the secondary. Not sure what to expect really.

Tomorrow I will enjoy fellowship with my church family and I hope later maybe fire up the grill to cook some steaks. God has blessed me with a great weekend, but I wish the arthritis could take a hike.

Hope ya'll are having a good weekend as well.

Ken

Finally a taste of spring today. I had the three boys all to myself. My youngest (7yo) had his heart set on riding the old power wheels. They are shot. Complete junk at this point. I did my best for him and he got a short ride. It breaks my heart but he is too big for them even if they weren't garbage. It's sad to grow up and have to move on...

It is tough to see them grow up, but it is nice to see them move on and become people, too

Just came in from a days mowing about an hour ago and I'm beat. Very soon, gonna have to get me some top soil delivered to do something about these old stump holes as they are beating me to death.

I got 8.5 acres mowed, trim done and decided to call it quits. The bushes and beds can wait till later. It was a beautiful day, sunny and breezy. Got a bit more sun on the neck than I planned for, but I could not have asked for a better chore day.

Yesterday I kegged all the beer I've been making to host my crawfish boil. 8 carboys emptied and washed. I still have a carboy filled with Kolsch that I added 2lbs of honey to. I was waiting to see if fermentation was going to do anything. So far nothing, notta zilch, Not even a bubble. I guess me cold crashing for a week knocked out all the yeast. I'll give it a few more days to make sure its not going to do anything and go ahead and keg it up. This was an experiement by adding the honey into the secondary. Not sure what to expect really.

Tomorrow I will enjoy fellowship with my church family and I hope later maybe fire up the grill to cook some steaks. God has blessed me with a great weekend, but I wish the arthritis could take a hike.

Ken

It was a nice day in Lower Alabama, too Ken. It wasn't sunny so it was a good day to get some work done in the yard. Mowed and edged, started to look at how I'm going to replace the fence around my pool. I'll have to post some pictures and have you all give me some input...

Edit: Whens the crawfish boil? I think I'm only about 4 hours away...

It is tough to see them grow up, but it is nice to see them move on and become people, too.

Yes. It's all part of the experience. It's rewarding and a bit sad at the same time. He is my last baby. I really want to hold on to that for my own selfish reasons of course. My daughter is just finishing four years of pre-med and heading off to pharmacy school so I can understand the pride I'm sure I will feel for all of them. I'm just going to miss a little one around the house... And I just scheduled an appointment for a vasectomy...

For your late night soundrack, Valentina Lisitsa. Schumann. For classical fans, she's a freak of nature, you'll like.

Classically trained musician here...I like. Thanks for sharing.

Yes. It's all part of the experience. It's rewarding and a bit sad at the same time. He is my last baby. I really want to hold on to that for my own selfish reasons of course. My daughter is just finishing four years of pre-med and heading off to pharmacy school so I can understand the pride I'm sure I will feel for all of them. I'm just going to miss a little one around the house... And I just scheduled an appointment for a vasectomy...

We had two and were going to stop, I just never got around to getting the vasectomy and then...we had three.

My oldest is 19, middle child is 17 and my youngest is 13. Not too much of an age difference, but #3 was a surprise for sure.

I sure am glad that I am the king of procrastination. Ha!

Supposedly drilling holes in the stumps and filling with powdered milk will promote the rotting of the stumps and help you get rid of them.

We had two and were going to stop, I just never got around to getting the vasectomy and then...we had three.

My oldest is 19, middle child is 17 and my youngest is 13. Not too much of an age difference, but #3 was a surprise for sure.

I sure am glad that I am the king of procrastination. Ha!

I'm glad FOR you. Im sure you would not trade that surprise for the world. I'm 44. Not too old for a man I'm told. Too old IMO. I guess it's time to enjoy the ride and wait for grandkids... Holy ****...did I just say that?

Supposedly drilling holes in the stumps and filling with powdered milk will promote the rotting of the stumps and help you get rid of them.

A watched stump never rots. Drilling holes in it can't hurt though. Swear at it too.

Besides just grinding them down, the best way is to rot them inside by drilling, filling with stump rot stuff, then 6 weeks later filling with gas and burning.

I think the stumps are already gone and he needs to fill the holes.

Ken

Where's the arthritis?

I like it a lot, but it sure seems a LOT like the last one. Seems like she's singing to somebody. Does he play piano? That would help :)

Sounds like the jingle you'd hear on an apple commercial. Or prius, or something similarly organic and sweet.

Well, that is what she sounds like. ;) She says she wants to write a musical. I think these songs lean toward what you would hear in one.

She "says" she wrote it about a great day sitting on the lawn at school with a couple of friends.

I'm not sure I believe that, though.

Where's the arthritis?

I have it in my shoulders, knees and ankles pretty bad. Joint pain as a whole just sucks. This is the cumulative effects of Double Whoppers, smoke dogs, and just overall enjoying good home cooked meals---too much growing up.

If it can't be cooked in a cast iron skillet, well then I don't guess it should be cooked at all. lol

I'm paying for that now.

Well, that is what she sounds like. ;)

She "says" she wrote it about a great day sitting on the lawn at school with a couple of friends.

I'm not sure I believe that, though.

I meant the lyrics and all were very similar. I like it, I really do. I told you before the simple music and lyrics reminds me of yael naim. That's a good thing :)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhE7QMXRE1g[/ame]

Hello to you. I hope today is a good one for you! My fingers ate the arthritic ( I hope) but aren't working well today. I think they store their nimbleness for the work week and then power down for weekends

Cheers to you all. Cheers!

I have it in my shoulders, knees and ankles pretty bad. Joint pain as a whole just sucks. This is the cumulative effects of Double Whoppers, smoke dogs, and just overall enjoying good home cooked meals---too much growing up.

If it can't be cooked in a cast iron skillet, well then I don't guess it should be cooked at all. lol

I'm paying for that now.

I've got post traumatic arthritis in one of my feet from a running accident (!). It's awful some days, and most days not there at all. I'm always aware of it though, trying not to let it flare up. I can't imagine having it all over.

I think the stumps are already gone and he needs to fill the holes.

Yeah, the property was once covered with a ton of trees and many have been removed and the stumps either dug up, rotted, or been ground down just leaving a grassy pot hole. Today was the 3rd or 4th full cutting I had since moving in here in January.

Place is beautiful, just going to need some TLC and elbow grease to get the yard smoother. I'm not even going to attempt landscaping the flower bed and old shrubs this year. With the move, I just wanted to get settled in, get back to brewing and get a grasp on the work that was going to be needed to care for the grass before I started to get carried away with planting flowers and new shrubs.

I have got my garden spot plowed, but just haven't had the time to do anything with it. It might have been wishful thinking to even do that. Another recent idea has came about and that is bees.....Thinking about maybe starting a few hives up to get some honey to make some mead with. Never made mead and never willfully wanted to see a bee live again, so this should be interesting. lol

Yeah, the property was once covered with a ton of trees and many have been removed and the stumps either dug up, rotted, or been ground down just leaving a grassy pot hole. Today was the 3rd or 4th full cutting I had since moving in here in January.

Place is beautiful, just going to need some TLC and elbow grease to get the yard smoother. I'm not even going to attempt landscaping the flower bed and old shrubs this year. With the move, I just wanted to get settled in, get back to brewing and get a grasp on the work that was going to be needed to care for the grass before I started to get carried away with planting flowers and new shrubs.

I have got my garden spot plowed, but just haven't had the time to do anything with it. It might have been wishful thinking to even do that. Another recent idea has came about and that is bees.....Thinking about maybe starting a few hives up to get some honey to make some mead with. Never made mead and never willfully wanted to see a bee live again, so this should be interesting. lol

We all need need bees and Mead is good too. I will be a fan of your hives;)

Late nite denizens: hello!

My chilis and habeneros are fruiting wonderfully. I work all day and I must say that at the end of that day I am happy to go out to my buckets and see my plants thriving. I have little things in my life: to me they are important, but nobody else knows. Not sure why growing stuff like this is important to me. Nobody else around me wonders or cares what's in the buckets.

_mg_1408-67149.jpg

_mg_1431-67152.jpg

Makes me think of this awesome song. For your late nite sountdrack, Jason Aldean, Fly Over States

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lkvGCTtZz8[/ame]

My chilis and habeneros are fruiting wonderfully. ]

Man, those look awesome. I hope next year I can start me a garden sooner. I have the space, just hard dedicating the time to do so.

Do you have any favorite pickling or salsa recipes? I bet they would look great in some tall jars.

Ken

My chilis and habeneros are fruiting wonderfully. I work all day and I must say that at the end of that day I am happy to go out to my buckets and see my plants thriving. I have little things in my life: to me they are important, but nobody else knows. Not sure why growing stuff like this is important to me. Nobody else around me wonders or cares what's in the buckets.

_mg_1408-67149.jpg

_mg_1431-67152.jpg

Makes me think of this awesome song. For your late nite sountdrack, Jason Aldean, Fly Over States

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lkvGCTtZz8

Those are some purdy peppers. Wish I had a green rather than brown sticklike thumb.

Passedpawn, my wife is amazed by your buckets of peppers, I am too for that matter. She wants me to ask you what do you do for drainage, how often water and she asked about soil type and fertilizer? [emoji3]

Tomorrow is my birthday but more importantly my youngest daughter graduates same date next month. Many of you remember my worries getting here set for college in CA. I can't believe it's been four years already.

Cheers!

Passedpawn, my wife is amazed by your buckets of peppers, I am too for that matter. She wants me to ask you what do you do for drainage, how often water and she asked about soil type and fertilizer? [emoji3]

Tomorrow is my birthday but more importantly my youngest daughter graduates same date next month. Many of you remember my worries getting here set for college in CA. I can't believe it's been four years already.

Cheers!

I followed the instructions in this video. Built about 10 of these things. Takes two buckets per. I didn't add the tubing between buckets. Once you have the stuff in front of you, you can build one it about 3 minutes.

Take my word for it, everything grows GREAT in these. I previously had something called an Earthbox which is very similar. I start from seeds, germinate in seed trays, then transplant when the roots have filled the seed tray. My tomato plants quickly outgrew these things though (they were taller than I am).

When the plants are young, you'll just water once a week. Since the water goes into the bottom of the bucket, and wicks up, there's little loss. But once the plants begin to bear fruit, you'll be watering daily. I don't mind (work from home, so I just fill up when I check the mail).

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIqssok6iXI[/ame]

Cheers!

For soil, I bought some dirt that had something mixed into it that make it lighter, so that it would wick the water up from below more easily. Don't remember. I think I mixed some tomato fertilizer into it, but can't remember now. I will say that the habanero plants weren't looking so good, so I added some fertilizer with calcium and they popped right up and started pushing out the peppers. It's vigaro with calcium. Really, though, all I have to do these days is keep cutting the peppers off and watering. New peppers come in amazingly fast.

Passedpawn, do you think it would be to late in the season for me to plant some peppers? I have a bunch of half barrels filled with top soil which was left here from the previous owners. Not sure what they had in them, but the soil is rich and dark. I've been so covered up with other chores, I've not made much effort for a garden this year, but thought about planting a few maters and peppers in some of those barrels.

Back