Deadspace in Keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbtech

Reaction score
I have about 6.5 cups of dead space in my keggle. Would this be excessive? Also, how much would this actually equate to when filled with grain? I am only using it as a mash tun. Thanks

Just to clarify. When you completely drain the keggle you have 6.5 cups of wort that you can't get out? To me that is too much. I leave maybe 1 cup. How far down is your dip tube?

yeah, i just built it last night and filled it with water. attached hose to create siphon and it leaves me with 6.5 cups of water in the bottom. i have a stainless t-fitting and might decide to go with something that draws off the bottom a little closer, but i wanted the t-fitting so i could attached a stainless braid to both ends to try and reduce stuck sparge. i was wondering if there was grain if i would get less remaining liquid, like 3 cups or so?

Are you going to try direct firing that tun without a false bottom?

Are you going to fly sparge or batch? Deadspace is more detrimental to batch sparging.

I agree that 6.5 cups deadspace is more than you want. It will hurt efficiency.

Are you going to try direct firing that tun without a false bottom?

Are you going to fly sparge or batch? Deadspace is more detrimental to batch sparging.

I agree that 6.5 cups deadspace is more than you want. It will hurt efficiency.

I've got a diffuser on my jet burner that will fan the flame out. Is this enough to prevent burning which I assume is what you mean by "try to direct fire"? And I planned on batch sparging.

yes, mine looks something like this. when I do a big grain bill, I cannot fit the mash in my 10 gallon cooler so I use my keggle. I attach a stainless braid to the dip tube and have no problems. This would be for grain bills more than 25lbs.

keg.jpg

yes, mine looks something like this. when I do a big grain bill, I cannot fit the mash in my 10 gallon cooler so I use my keggle. I attach a stainless braid to the dip tube and have no problems. This would be for grain bills more than 25lbs.

View attachment 15030

Thanks for the info, and I think I am going to change the design. Do you have any issues with scorching the grain with no false bottom as suggested above? I'll probably go with a single pickup tube with stainless braid like you have. How long is your braid?

Back