Give me a beer.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTOLERANCE

Reaction score
.....recipe that goes good with Meixcan food. Being Cinco de Mayo and all, I dont have a beer that goes good with Mexican, besides Corona. Like something better. Anyone got a good recipe?

Thanks, Doc.

P.S. Happy Cinco de Mayo.

If you want to accentuate the heat of Mexican food, use a hoppy beer. If you want to balance the heat use a malty beer.

Mexican beer doesn't pair well with Mexican food, with perhaps the exception of Mexican seafood.

Vienna SMaSH:

10 lbs Vienna Malt (mash at 150-152°F)

1 oz Northern Brewer (8.0%) @ 60 min
1 oz Northern Brewer (8.0%) @ 20 min
1 oz Northern Brewer (8.0%) @ 05 min

Nottingham Yeast

It's got the maltiness of a vienna lager and the the hoppiness of an american pale, but very balanced and smooth due to the northern brewer. Goes great with mexican food.

Vienna SMaSH:

10 lbs Vienna Malt (mash at 150-152°F)

1 oz Northern Brewer (8.0%) @ 60 min
1 oz Northern Brewer (8.0%) @ 20 min
1 oz Northern Brewer (8.0%) @ 05 min

Nottingham Yeast

It's got the maltiness of a vienna lager and the the hoppiness of an american pale, but very balanced and smooth due to the northern brewer. Goes great with mexican food.

Thanks Death Brewer, looks like a simple recipe, hopefully one I wont screw up. Should be inexpensive as well. Single fermentation?...and for how long?

Thanks, Doc.

Primary fermentation for 4 weeks will do it, then straight to keg. Ferment in the low 60s if you can. If you're bottling, I'd go with 3-4 weeks in primary and 4 weeks in bottles.

Let me know how it goes.
:mug:

Primary fermentation for 4 weeks will do it, then straight to keg. Ferment in the low 60s if you can. If you're bottling, I'd go with 3-4 weeks in primary and 4 weeks in bottles.

Let me know how it goes.

Death Brewer, this brew went awesome. Took about 13 days to carb and clear out. Got me why so long. Tried a few different pressures, and finally got it right. Had a strange after taste the first few days after I had some carbonation, but by day 13 all was good.

And for the record, you were dead on, its great with spicy/hot food. :mug:

What you were tasting is that nottingham yeast. It gives a little funk for a while until it clears out...sometimes you just can't rush it. Glad it turned out well! This is still one of my favorites. I'm kegging a 12 gallon batch this weekend :)

Back