spur of the moment emergency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkeb74

Reaction score
I just found out I have to attend a function with my fiance in a little over an hour. I started steeping my grains a few minutes ago.

Wondering if I can sparge and hold off the boil for a few hours while I attend the event then come back and continue where I left off.

Thanks!

You may be better off to continue to steep instead of spathe now. The boil can definitely hold off, but a steep of only a few minutes won't net you much.

You might risk some tannin extraction if it steeps too long, but because it's a PM, you're not likely to notice even if some do leech because the amount of grain is (relatively) small.

Oh no, I had planned on finishing the steep. I'm asking if I can finish the steep, sparge, and then hold odd boiling the wort while I go to this event. Then come home and start up the boil and finish

yes, anything bad that would start in the wort for the few hours you're gone will get taken care of in the boil. No worries!

If it's only a few hours I don't see why you couldn't... Just put the wort in the kettle on the stove so that it's ready to get heat applied as soon as you walk in the door... :rockin: Or you could just sacrifice the function in order to pay attention to your brew... What's more important?

How long ago did you know about this function? If she just dropped it into your lap...

Bah, its a work event she just found out about as well. So I can't blame her too much :p

Bah, its a work event she just found out about as well. So I can't blame her too much :p

Then decide if you'd rather brew, or go to some work function... If it's not going to be a good time at the function, just tell her you've already made the commitment to the brew of the day... Had they told her, and you, a day or two earlier, you would have been able to plan for it... Now, you've already got the grains wet... You just need to finish the brew... :rockin:

As you might be able to tell, I'm single... :ban:

But guys, if the steeping liquid cools too much there's a big chance that lacto will form pretty rapidly form it being on the grain. Athough it will be killed off in the boil, it will still possibly sour the liquid. We talked about this yesterday https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/could-i-steep-grains-day-early-232082/?highlight=lacto

You need to either rapidly cool it, put it into a sanitized vessel and stick it into a fridge, or keep it above lacto forming temps til you can use it. Like stick it in a cooler, or if it's in metal maybe in a low over......

Remember the trick to make some guiness clones, was to pull some of the mash and set it aside to cool for a couple hours to sour and add that back to the mash for some acidic tartness.....

I'd be a little concerned about steeping now and boiling later.

Sounds like he'll be better off just finishing the brew and let the fiance explain to people at the function why he's not there. :D

It's all about priorities, right? ;)

Speaking of priorities....

633502992923684568-priorities.jpg

I have no clue what this is about, but it seems to fit.

Back