The greatest beer of all time...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Strange... Long Hammer was one of the beers that had me thinking I didn't like IPAs. To each their own!

Agreed. I've been able to get a pretty close clone and keep this one on tap at all times at home.....

I actually don't like IPA's. So I really can't judge. The only Redhook product I have enjoyed is Blackhook.

Yeah, they are owned by AB or InBev or whatever. I jog past their first brewery every night in Seattle (Fremont).

I was working for my brothers glass company when we got a call late on Fri that they had a broken window. We went and they were nice enough to give us a half rack of brew to boot.......I mean a six pack as was told back at the office.

~Diz

Exactly, but they wouldn't have the distribution, a huge brewery in Woodinville and in N.H. w/o AB/InBev.

~Diz

I liked their Tripel... though I admit I picked it up at the time because it was Ridiculously cheap... I wish I'd bought out the store's stock.

Im pretty sure the greatest beer of all time is Miller Lite. Its triple hopped!
-Jefe-

I noticed that for the first time this weekend when my buddy was drinking a ML. Hilarious....just like michelob's porter being "All Malt" :rolleyes:

I haven't had a long hammer in a while but I do remember enjoying it when I had it last.

Longhammer is drinkable for sure. Didn't know Redhook was partially owned by AB though. I'll know to avoid them from now on. I try my best to stay away from any AB product.

Longhammer is drinkable for sure. Didn't know Redhook was partially owned by AB though. I'll know to avoid them from now on. I try my best to stay away from any AB product.

You'll want to avoid Widmer, Goose Island and Kona under the same ownership/distribution arrangement that effects Red Hook (and of course Bass, Boddingtons, Spaten, Leffe and the other Inbev brands).

For IPAs, Stone Ruination is probably top of my list. For beers ever sampled, I can't stop thinking about Double Mountain Terrible Two I had a few months ago. Kept going back for more the whole 2 weeks I was out there.

Illinois was lucky to get Stone just recently. I've been in a real hoppy mood lately and I agree Ruination is amazing.

I was in Colorado on vac recently and Avery,Odells and Boulder Beer make some excellent beers. Avery had 20+ beers on tap and had their ipa 3 different ways..Original, dryhopped with chinook, and surprisingly dryhopped with fuggle! Awesome brewery.

I agree that Redhook is good considering you can get a 12 pack for like 13 bucks. You do get what you pay for, but considering you can get Longhammer for that price it's worth it.

One of the best tasting beers I can remember is no longer made, Duke Ale in 7 oz bottles. I really liked "Old Vienna" up in Niagara Falls, Ontario in the mid 70's. When I had some stateside it tasted like generic BMC, quite a disappointment.

Really? Longhammer?
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/18134/34688

I don't base MY personal tastes off of the general public, but when you're going to say that the best beer in the world, hands down, is Long Hammer IPA, you're assuming that at least three people agree with you.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16866/51257
This is my favorite.

According to other people, there are better beers but this is one that I like a lot.

see how that works? haha.

I know their rating of it. Remember the part where I said From a cost vs. quality standpoint of course."?
I prefer MANY beers over it, but cost wise its the winner IMO...MMMMM Bell's Two Hearted, Torpedo, Mojo, Mojo Risin', Big Sky IPA, DFH 60, Hop Stoopid, MGD 64 (just kidding), Lagunitas IPA and APA, Bubble Jack, the Unforgiven, and on and on. All so tasty yet so pricey.:drunk:

Te gustibus non disputandum.

Longhammer is OK, but I've got a big selection of locals here that I like better. On the other hand, I'm not a big fan of Mojo - but I think a lot of this comes down to how hard it is to transport beer successfully and not have it damaged in transit. The farther you are from where it's made, the more chance it has had to deteriorate.

Yeah, I have noticed they seem to be a very popular style on the forum, it's my dad's favorite style too. To me they just taste like hop tea.

They're not for everyone that's for sure. I went a little nuts on them for a while and lost my taste for everything else, but I've turned that around and am appreciating other styles again. There's too many good ones out there to just get stuck on one, but IPA is still my favorite.:mug:

I can totally see Red Hook being one of the leaders in the quality/cost ratio category.

When I was in college, Red Hook was the second most expensive beer at the stores in Chapel Hill, which is a decent beer town. Only Sierra Nevada was regularly more expensive. I loved Red Hook ESB. Then AB got a chunk of them, and the ESB got toned down a bit (I can't state a correlation between the two events for sure). They still make good beers, and they've gotten cheaper since they got included in the AB distribution structure. A decent beer at a good price.

Really? Longhammer?
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/18134/34688

I don't base MY personal tastes off of the general public, but when you're going to say that the best beer in the world, hands down, is Long Hammer IPA, you're assuming that at least three people agree with you.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16866/51257
This is my favorite.

According to other people, there are better beers but this is one that I like a lot.

see how that works? haha.

People on beer advocate like a rare imperial stout? I did not see that coming.

I know their rating of it. Remember the part where I said From a cost vs. quality standpoint of course."?
I prefer MANY beers over it, but cost wise its the winner IMO...MMMMM Bell's Two Hearted, Torpedo, Mojo, Mojo Risin', Big Sky IPA, DFH 60, Hop Stoopid, MGD 64 (just kidding), Lagunitas IPA and APA, Bubble Jack, the Unforgiven, and on and on. All so tasty yet so pricey.:drunk:

hahahahaha me, READ?

fine then, Old Rasputin, for sure!

It's fun to read what people outside of the Pacific Northwest consider great IPAs.

But to join the fun, I think Green Giant's Canned Corn is the best Corn EVER!!!!!

Back