Upright brewing Holy Herb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chester

Reaction score
Anybody try this? What did you think? The first sip caught me totally off guard but after the initial shock I enjoyed it a lot; well 2 pints worth. SWMBO really liked it too to my surprise. I have a french saison pack in the back of my fridge and this beer has inspired me to make use of it.

Commercial Description:
The Holy Herb is a malty farmhouse winter beer. The name refers to hyssop, a medicinal plant with a minty and bitter character that was added to the kettle. It’s also aged on eucalyptus wood staves and bark, which provides some earthy and cooling qualities to its flavor. A contrasting fruity aroma comes from a Belgian yeast that fermented the beer in open top tanks. IBUs: 18

its gotten some pretty funny reviews:

Upright Brewing – Holy Herb (0 stars/-0 mugs)

Holy Hell!

Holy Hell!

Holy Herbs Batman! I usually steer clear of flavored brews because of results like this. Someone says to themselves, “I’m going to make a [insert flavor here] beer!” Then they set about concocting their flavor and getting it just right and somewhere along the line they stop making [blank] flavored beer and start making beer flavored [blank].

Of course, Holy Herb sits on a level all on it’s own for being incredibly blech-face inducing, as you can see in the photo. The flavor wheel for this one had a bias toward bitter, astringent , and sour. Words like gnarly, tainted, and Xtreme were jotted hastily between gasps.

Luckily, this was a friend’s beer so I didn’t have to endure much of it.

You should try it if you find it (get a taster first!)

I thought you were talking about weed.

I've had beer made with hemp. It's sort of wheat grassy in a pleasant sort of way.

Latest posts

Back