Active Airlock but Gravity has stabilized

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scribbles

Reaction score
So I'm on my 2nd batch of beer making and making an amber ale. My f2nd day in the fermenter was really active, so much so that it foamed through my airlock. I quickly replaced with a sanitized hose that fed into a pitcher of water. I guess that's called a blow over hose or some such.

Anyway, its been in the fermenter for about 9 days now and even though the airlock is still a little active, the gravity hasn't changed since day 4 or 5. I don't have a secondary fermenter yet. My last/first batch I bottled after about 8 days in the fermenter but by then the airlock was not bubbling.

Any pointers or things I should be concerned w/?

You don't need to be concerned... but you really should just let it sit for 2 weeks before worrying about taking readings unless your really concerned fermentation hasn't started.

I know its hard to be patient, but letting your beer go without disturbing it is best, the yeast will do their thing! :)

Welcome aboard!

Why the rush? I would just plan on waiting at least 3 weeks from brew day to bottle your beer. Patience is key here; as a general rule...the longer you wait, both in the fermenter and bottle, the better the beer will be. Although you don't want the beer sitting in the fermenter for months, but I have waited as long as six weeks and it was probably the best beer I've ever made.

thanks guys, My little coopers kit guide says to bottle as soon as gravity stabilizes unless I've missed something. Makes it sound like I should be taking readings more often than not. And I must admit, this 2nd batch isn't a cooper's ingredients product.

thanks guys, My little coopers kit guide says to bottle as soon as gravity stabilizes unless I've missed something. Makes it sound like I should be taking readings more often than not. And I must admit, this 2nd batch isn't a cooper's ingredients product.

Unfortunately most of the kit instructions are wrong and want you to quickly bottle your beer so you buy more from them (atleast that is the way I see it!). As you read on this forum, you'll see that most people just leave it alone for 3-4 weeks in primary, then transfer to secondary or bottle.

THe only time you should be worried is if you think fermentation didn't start within the first couple of days... then you should be taking a reading to verify things are ok. Otherwise just leave it alone, no rush!

Well, I would trash that guide and use this....How to Brew

Also, this board is the only brewing guide you need!

that is the bare minimum amount of time to wait before bottling. but there is no harm in letting it wait longer.

Ok, I am still a newbie when it comes to brewing. I have done about 12 batches over the last few years. I have always switched to a second fermenter after 5-7 days in the primary as per all the guides I have read. So is this wrong? Should I leave the batch in the primary for 2 weeks at a min, then switch to the secondary? Also can you go from primary to bottling?

you should move to secondary on after fermentation is complete. And, we know this by using our hydrometers.

Ok, I am still a newbie when it comes to brewing. I have done about 12 batches over the last few years. I have always switched to a second fermenter after 5-7 days in the primary as per all the guides I have read. So is this wrong? Should I leave the batch in the primary for 2 weeks at a min, then switch to the secondary? Also can you go from primary to bottling?

There is no right or wrong method here. If fermentation is complete (Stable hydrometer reading for 2-3 days) and you don't need to add anything extra per the recipe, then its safe to bottle. BUT, that is just the minimum requirement. Some recipes require you to add flavoring after fermentation is complete, and most do so when they rack it to a secondary.

What most people have found interms of best tasting, is to leave it in the primary for 4 weeks and then bottle (unless you need to rack). I'm still new to this as well so I don't know from personal experience yet, but this is what I grasp from reading the forums a lot over the past couple of weeks.

Its perfectly fine to go from primary -> bottling bucket -> bottling.

its all a matter of opinion. i personally leave the brew in the primary for 2 weeks minimum. then go straight from primary to bottling bucket to bottle. what your doing isn't necessarily "wrong" i'm sure its worked just fine for all your 12 batches. personally i'm of the mind "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

Latest posts

Back