Nugget Nectar Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Starting to heat up the mash water. Any suggestions on the recipe, particularly the Chinook or Centennial addition?

Already decided to use WPL001 as the yeast.

Thanks for any last minute insight!

Going to use the Centennial for this batch. Getting the spiciness from the Simcoe, so I should be good. Also, I modified my hop additions, as outlined below:

60 min - 1 oz Nugget
20 min - 1 oz Simcoe
15 min - 1 oz Tomahawk (Sub for Warrior)
10 min - 1 oz Centennial (Sub for Tomahawk)
5 min - 1 oz Williamette (Sub for Palisade)
0 min - 1 oz Nugget (Don't have a hopback)
Dry Hop - 2 oz Nugget

I will report back with my findings!

Okay guys here where I am...

About to keg this batch tomorrow. It tastes right on, and the color is PERFECT!

I did use the Chinook instead of the Centennial on a last minute whim. I think the ingredients on the Troegs site are there to throw people off. TRY MY RECIPE! You will love it!

I will let you all know what this is like once it's carbed!

A lot of craft breweries will change their hops and/or grains as availability, quality, & pricing changes. So what they list on the site might be what they are using now, or originally, but not necessarily at all times.

Quick update on my extract recipe posted earlier...out of excitement/impatience I tossed a single bottle in the fridge at the 7 day mark just to see how it was coming along. Already tastes awesome here too :)

I think I just really enjoy the Nugget aroma and flavors. I'll do a full side by side comparison with the Troegs version (w/ pics, etc) after the full 3 weeks in bottles, but just tasting this one I made I think I enjoyed it more than theirs. Probably just my pride swelling a bit over having made a really tasty beer but whatever :tank:

Okay guys here where I am...

About to keg this batch tomorrow. It tastes right on, and the color is PERFECT!

I did use the Chinook instead of the Centennial on a last minute whim. I think the ingredients on the Troegs site are there to throw people off. TRY MY RECIPE! You will love it!

I will let you all know what this is like once it's carbed!

Are you dry hopping? Looking at when you said you brewed (End of March), how long did you leave in primary and/or secondary with hopping?

FYI, I pulled a sample out of my keg last night... It is definitely changing character as 3 weeks carbing has passed. I am getting a lot of fruity notes here.... might be a little much, but oh well...probably will develop some more character before the end of the month.

Redskin, I noticed mine tasting spot on and great very early, then definitely changed as it carbed.... let us know how yours changes

Are you dry hopping? Looking at when you said you brewed (End of March), how long did you leave in primary and/or secondary with hopping?

FYI, I pulled a sample out of my keg last night... It is definitely changing character as 3 weeks carbing has passed. I am getting a lot of fruity notes here.... might be a little much, but oh well...probably will develop some more character before the end of the month.

Redskin, I noticed mine tasting spot on and great very early, then definitely changed as it carbed.... let us know how yours changes

I brewed on the 27th, and it was done on the 30th... Down to 1.017. I transferred to secondary, but only to help the beer clear. I did my two ounces of Nugget in the keg. Kegged last night, so I will taste again Sunday. So far, color, flavor, and aroma are spot on!

Will also report back when I do a side by side sometime next week. :mug:

I brewed on the 27th, and it was done on the 30th... Down to 1.017. I transferred to secondary, but only to help the beer clear. I did my two ounces of Nugget in the keg. Kegged last night, so I will taste again Sunday. So far, color, flavor, and aroma are spot on!

Will also report back when I do a side by side sometime next week. :mug:

Sorry that I am just getting back. I had a pretty busy weekend.

This beer is AMAZING! My best clone yet! :rockin:

Right on with flavor, aroma, bitterness, color, and malt backbone! :mug:

Just so everyone doesn't have to go reading through the posts, here is the recipe:

Grain Bill

9 lb 8 oz Pils
2 lb 6 oz Munich
2 lb 6 oz Vienna
5 oz Caramel 60L

Hop Schedule

60 min - 1 oz Whole Leaf Nugget
30 min - 1 oz Whole Leaf Simcoe
15 min - 1 oz Whole Leaf Tomahawk (Columbus)
10 min - 1 oz Whole Leaf Chinook
5 min - 1 oz Pellet Willamette
0 min - 1 oz Whole Leaf Nugget
KH - 2 oz Whole Leaf Nugget

Other Ingredients

15 min - .5 oz Irish Moss

Yeast

White Labs WLP001 - California Ale (2L Starter w/20 seconds O2)

Strike/Sparge

5.5 gallons - Strike @ 154* for 60 min.
5.5 gallons - Sparge @ 170* for 10 min.

Boil

90 min.

Aeration

O2 for 1.5 min.

Time to kick back and have a few... :tank:

Quick question redskinnfan. You say 90min boil but first hops go in at 60min? Is that correct? I'm going to be giving this a try and just want to make sure I have it right, thanks.

So, to report back...

I can't find any Nugget Nectar at the local beer stores, so I can't do a side by side. I can tell you that the flavor has changed some though, for the better!

I have already brewed another batch, this time with Centennial instead of Chinook to see how it affects the flavor. I will let you know how it turns out.

Just took another sample from the keg, and it has gotten much better since I originally tasted it. The flavors really mellowed out, the color is pretty much right on track and the flavor is out of this world. While I think both redskin and my recipes are fairly similar, I dont think you can go wrong on this one... or either.

Give my recipe a try...by far my best beer to date and the elements have all come together better than I had hoped

Redskin, if I can save some of mine, I will try yours and do a side bys ide.

Just took another sample from the keg, and it has gotten much better since I originally tasted it. The flavors really mellowed out, the color is pretty much right on track and the flavor is out of this world. While I think both redskin and my recipes are fairly similar, I dont think you can go wrong on this one... or either.

Give my recipe a try...by far my best beer to date and the elements have all come together better than I had hoped

I also gave this recipe to my local HBS guy, who tried it out, and agreed it was one of the better beers he has made in a bit. Cheers! :rockin:

I will do the same. Good luck and happy brewing!

Hi all. Just wanted to give you guys a quick update on my second attempt at this beer (with slight modifications)...

Here is the modified recipe:

9 lb 8 oz Pils
2 lb 6 oz Vienna
2 lb 6 oz Munich
0 lb 5 oz Crystal 60

60 min - 1 oz Nugget
20 min - 1 oz Simcoe
15 min - 1 oz Tomahawk
10 min - 1 oz Centennial
05 min - 1 oz Willamette
00 min - 1 oz Nugget
Dry Hop - 2 oz Nugget

15 min - Irish Moss

WLP001 - California Ale (2qt starter)

Kegged on Friday of last week. Beer isn't fully carbed yet, but still tastes great! Beer ended up about 7.7% ABV this time, with IBU around 94-95..

Tastes great!!! As of right now, it is hard to tell if the change in the 10 min addition was a good/bad thing. Either way this is close! I saved a few of my first batch to do side by side with it and a Nugget Nectar.

Hi all. Just wanted to give you guys a quick update on my second attempt at this beer (with slight modifications)...

Here is the modified recipe:

9 lb 8 oz Pils
2 lb 6 oz Vienna
2 lb 6 oz Munich
0 lb 5 oz Crystal 60

60 min - 1 oz Nugget
20 min - 1 oz Simcoe
15 min - 1 oz Tomahawk
10 min - 1 oz Centennial
05 min - 1 oz Willamette
00 min - 1 oz Nugget
Dry Hop - 2 oz Nugget

15 min - Irish Moss

WLP001 - California Ale (2qt starter)

Kegged on Friday of last week. Beer isn't fully carbed yet, but still tastes great! Beer ended up about 7.7% ABV this time, with IBU around 94-95..

Tastes great!!! As of right now, it is hard to tell if the change in the 10 min addition was a good/bad thing. Either way this is close! I saved a few of my first batch to do side by side with it and a Nugget Nectar.

Just wanted to give you guys an update! Beer is carbed to style (IIPA), and it's tastes absolutely fantastic!!! The change from Chinook to Centennial made an amazing difference!

I will be letting this sit for about two more weeks before I put the true "taste test" together. I have two Nugget Nectar's in bottles, and four pints in a keg from the original batch. Will get some friends together, and have the wife pour the beers and have them do a triple blind test.

I will let you guys know the outcome.

All,

It's been a few weeks now, and I wanted to give everyone an update.

So, I was able to do a blind taste test with myself, and two friends. I had my wife take two bottles of each beer (Troegs version, my original batch, and then my modified batch) and pour them into three different types of glasses. She brought the six glasses, each beer in two of the same kind of glass, and we all took turns tasting. I got to tell you, I was having a very hard time with this one...

The Troegs beers were in a pint glass, the original recipe was in a snifter, and my modified recipe was in a goblet. First off, let me tell you, they all were the same color, so my guesstimate of 8 for an SRM was right on!

They all smelled great! The Troegs had a less pronounced aroma than the original batch, but the second batch was dead on for aroma!

Now for flavor. The Troegs was exactly how I remembered, hop forward with a slightly sweet backend. My first recipe was slightly spicier, and I am guessing it was because of the Chinook. The modified recipe was almost right there.. Just a little bit dry in comparison. Not that this was a bad thing, because I actually liked it more.

Anyway, I telling you about the beers, and not about the taste test... So we all had a taste of each of the beers, took notes, and continued to try and decipher which was the Troegs...

Well, the results actually shocked the hell out of me. The Troegs rendition, scored the lowest, and the second attempt scored the highest amongst the testers. Noone was able to pick the Troegs out from the bunch!

In looking back at this thread, and the info that I was able to pull from it, along with research from other areas, I think I have finally made a clone that can beat the competition. I will be trying to enter this in the Montgomery County Agricultural fair in August. Let's see how I fair...

Redskin,
What hop schedule did you use? I brewed this the other day, but I modified it slightly for less alcohol. I wanted more of a session beer.

Well, I've been planning on brewing this for a while and following this thread in anticipation, and today is finally the day...boil is rolling now...the hop additions lined up my my kitchen counter smell amazing...I'm getting excited!

Here's the recipe I went with for this batch, based on what I had in the house:

Grain bill:
9 lbs. Pilsner Malt (US) [I'm actually doing 4.5# pils malt and 3# pils LME late to use up some extra LME I have left over]
3 lbs. Munich Light
2 lbs. Vienna
8 oz. Caramel 60L [that's what it took to get my beer alchemy calculations to SRM=8]

Hop Schedule:
.65 oz. Nugget @ FWH
.5 oz Warrior @ 20
.5 oz. Simcoe @ 20
1 oz. Nugget @ 10
1 oz. Palisades @ 5
.5 oz. Columbus @ 5
.5 oz. Simcoe @ 5
1 oz Palisades @ 1
.5 oz Columbus @ 1
1.5 oz. Nugget @ DH (I'm thinking 10 days)
.5 oz Warrior @ DH (same)

That gets me to OG 1.078 & IBU 94, which sounds about right. I'm going to ferment this with a 3 liter starter of washed pacman for this batch. I mashed at about 153F, and I'm guessing that between that mash temp and the LME (which tends to underattentuate for me), I should have some malty sweetness (hopefully not too much) to balance the hop bitterness...we'll see how it goes. Thanks to everyone in this thread for sharing their info & eperiences!

Well, I've been planning on brewing this for a while and following this thread in anticipation, and today is finally the day...boil is rolling now...the hop additions lined up my my kitchen counter smell amazing...I'm getting excited!

Grain bill:
9 lbs. Pilsner Malt (US) [I'm actually doing 4.5# pils malt and 3# pils LME late to use up some extra LME I have left over]
3 lbs. Munich Light
2 lbs. Vienna
8 oz. Caramel 60L [that's what it took to get my beer alchemy calculations to SRM=8]

Hop Schedule:
.65 oz. Nugget @ FWH
.5 oz Warrior @ 20
.5 oz. Simcoe @ 20
1 oz. Nugget @ 10
1 oz. Palisades @ 5
.5 oz. Columbus @ 5
.5 oz. Simcoe @ 5
1 oz Palisades @ 1
.5 oz Columbus @ 1

That gets me to OG 1.078 & IBU 94, which sounds about right. I'm going to ferment this with a 3 liter starter of washed pacman for this batch. I mashed at about 153F, and I'm guessing that between that mash temp and the LME (which tends to underattentuate for me), I should have some malty sweetness (hopefully not too much) to balance the hop bitterness...we'll see how it goes. Thanks to everyone in this thread for sharing their info & eperiences!

How did this turn out? Inquiring minds want to know...

How did this turn out? Inquiring minds want to know...

I just moved this to secondary after a month in primary. I'll bottle in about a week, so it will be another month or so before I can say how it worked out. I'm guessing that in a strongish beer like this it might be 2 more months before it reaches peak flavor, but I'll definitely report back once I've had a taste. Now if I could just find an NN for comparative purposes (I tried to save a couple of bottles from when it was in season, but that didn't work out too well...hard to look at them and not drink them).

(I tried to save a couple of bottles from when it was in season, but that didn't work out too well...hard to look at them and not drink them).

In related news, I talked to a guy from Troegs this weekend, they are moving and getting a much larger facility. Bad news, they won't be turning NN year round. Good news, they may be able to release more of it and will be using part of the facility for experimental brews, possibly stuff off the scratch series, so we could see more stuff come our way.

GL with the brew, sounds like it should be close.

I brewed this and just finished the keg. Being in the Midwest I do not have access to the original like I did when I lived in Pittsburgh so I have no direct comparison.

Than being said, the beer turned out fantastic. When the beer was young it was extremely spicy with not much malt coming into play. As it aged it became more malt forward and it seemed like the Palisade hops had a more dominate presence. This is a fantastic bee and I may put it on tap in my house all year round.

I brewed this and just finished the keg. Being in the Midwest I do not have access to the original like I did when I lived in Pittsburgh so I have no direct comparison.

Than being said, the beer turned out fantastic. When the beer was young it was extremely spicy with not much malt coming into play. As it aged it became more malt forward and it seemed like the Palisade hops had a more dominate presence. This is a fantastic bee and I may put it on tap in my house all year round.

Can you post the recipe you used?

Grain bill:
3 lbs. Munich Light
2 lbs. Vienna

Hop Schedule:
.65 oz. Nugget @ FWH
.5 oz Warrior @ 20
.5 oz. Simcoe @ 20
1 oz. Nugget @ 10
1 oz. Palisades @ 5
.5 oz. Columbus @ 5
.5 oz. Simcoe @ 5
1 oz Palisades @ 1
.5 oz Columbus @ 1

Well, I'm having my first taste of this now, although it isn't really fully carbed and ready (I just bottled 10 days ago). My first impressions are that it will be a delicious beer, and the aroma is the best in any beer I've made, but I can't really compare it to the original since my actual NNs are long gone. Right now, it's still young, rough tasting, and a little undercarbed, so it's hard to really tell, but I think the hops flavor in my version is a little more "mellow tropical fruit" than NN (reminds me a lot of the simcoe/amarillo combo, but with a little more complexity...maybe I'll cut back the simcoe a bit next time and throw in more nugget or add a little centennial?), and I think I have a bit more residual sweetness (my FG came in slightly high at 1.019). As of this tasting, the hop bitterness feels WAY mellower than 94 IBUs, even though the software confirms that's what I got; I have a Pale Ale hopped mostly with Centennial at 38 IBUs that has a much sharper bitterness. But I'll check back with this thread again once it's had a chance to age a bit and I can give a more realistic review.

Well, I'm having my first taste of this now, although it isn't really fully carbed and ready (I just bottled 10 days ago). My first impressions are that it will be a delicious beer, and the aroma is the best in any beer I've made, but I can't really compare it to the original since my actual NNs are long gone. Right now, it's still young, rough tasting, and a little undercarbed, so it's hard to really tell, but I think the hops flavor in my version is a little more "mellow tropical fruit" than NN (reminds me a lot of the simcoe/amarillo combo, but with a little more complexity...maybe I'll cut back the simcoe a bit next time and throw in more nugget or add a little centennial?), and I think I have a bit more residual sweetness (my FG came in slightly high at 1.019). As of this tasting, the hop bitterness feels WAY mellower than 94 IBUs, even though the software confirms that's what I got; I have a Pale Ale hopped mostly with Centennial at 38 IBUs that has a much sharper bitterness. But I'll check back with this thread again once it's had a chance to age a bit and I can give a more realistic review.

Great work! :rockin:

Let us know how it develops.

Well, I'm having my first taste of this now, although it isn't really fully carbed and ready (I just bottled 10 days ago). My first impressions are that it will be a delicious beer, and the aroma is the best in any beer I've made, but I can't really compare it to the original since my actual NNs are long gone.

Where in MA are you artguy? I got a few bottles of this years NN left, and I'd be willing to share some to help compare once you think its ready :mug:

planning a version of this for my next brew utilizing the ingredients I have on hand, I decided to use Dark Munich instead of C60 to get to the 8 srm's......any comments / suggestions.....yea I know there is no Nuggett in there but Warrior is very close and i have over a half pound sitting here in my freezer...

The Liver is Evil and Must Be Punished - Imperial IPA

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 11.00 Wort Size (Gal): 11.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 27.00
Anticipated OG: 1.074 Plato: 17.94
Anticipated SRM: 8.4
Anticipated IBU: 94.2
Brewhouse Efficiency: 82 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
59.3 16.00 lbs. Pilsener Germany 1.038 2
18.5 5.00 lbs. Munich Malt(dark) USA 1.033 17
18.5 5.00 lbs. Vienna Malt Germany 1.037 4
3.7 1.00 lbs. CaraPils Dextrine Malt USA 1.033 9

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.00 oz. Warrior Pellet 17.40 69.6 60 min.
2.00 oz. Simcoe Pellet 13.70 18.4 20 min.
2.00 oz. Centennial Pellet 9.20 6.1 5 min.
2.00 oz. Warrior Pellet 17.40 0.0 Dry Hop

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 Oz Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP005 British Ale

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 27.00
Water Qts: 36.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 9.00 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.33 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 152 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 170 Time: 15
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 60

Dam,
Way to call me out redskin!

5 lb 2-row
2.5 lb Vienna
2.0 Lb Marris otter
2.5 lb Munich 10L
.05 lb De-Bittered Black Malt

.90 oz Nugget 12.2% 60 min
.25 oz Simcoe 12.2% 30 min
.5 oz Warrior 15.8% 20 min
1.25 oz Columbus 14.2% 0min
1.25 oz Palisade 8 % 0min
1.0 oz Simcoe 12.2% Dry hop
1.0 oz Palisade 8% Dry hop

Mashed @ 154

O.G. 1.055

What cha gonna do, I've been so busy with the business I haven’t kept up on my posting, thanks for forcing me.
What do you think of the recipe, turned out fantastic (as you can see I used this thread as a template). I may actually brew this again this weekend.

What cha gonna do, I've been so busy with the business I haven’t kept up on my posting, thanks for forcing me.
What do you think of the recipe, turned out fantastic (as you can see I used this thread as a template). I may actually brew this again this weekend.

Doesn't look bad at all. Have you tried any of the recipes we posted?

Latest posts

Back