Batch of IPA sitting under Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone..... I have a batch of IPA aged on oak that I should have bottled in January. Think I would be okay using some priming sugar and bottling or should I dump it out ?

Thanks a bunch,

Dave

How does it taste? Unless it's awful, I'm not sure why you would dump it. I'd suggest dropping some fresh yeast in and bottling as normal.

Let you tastebuds be your guide. You may need some additional yeast for it to carbonate though. Give it a taste and if its still clean and fully fermented, I'd plan to bottle with priming sugar and some fresh, liquid yeast. What were the OG and FG?

Maybe dry hop with an ounce or two. After that much time in the fermenter I'm sure you've lost some hoppy-ness but it SHOULD still be good.

I just saved a few bottles from a batch of elderflower cider that wasn't great and had been sitting in the keg for 2 years. It carbonated fine in the bottle with nothing added except 1/2tsp sugar, but yeah, I'd suggest adding yeast if you definitely want it carbed - i wasn't bothered.

Like people have said just use your tastebuds. Beer often gets worse over time, but that's no reason it's not still good!

Well this batch really messed me up. Fermented so quick I barely had a chance to do anything. Couldn't figure it out so I added a higher avb yeast that just settled to the bottom. Just tasted and it is quite hoppy, slightly bitter and the FG is 1.185, not sure of the OG.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Dave

That has me wondering too. Started within 30 min then quit a day later... I didn't do anything with it... I thought no way is it done, so just in case I added the higher AVB yeast that did nothing but settle. Can't figure this one out. Sure hate to throw it away.

This is my 3rd batch of beer and I have 13 batches of wine/mead/cider here in my room.

I now remember when I pitched the yeast I noticed after the fact that it was out of date. That is why I added the other yeast.

Thanks,

Dave

If you had activity at all during fermentation, it would imply that the yeast was at least viable. I can't imagine how it would "finish" at 1.076. Are you sure your hydrometer is accurate?

Yeah sounds like your hydrometer is highly suspect. What was your OG? Your FG sounds more like a STARTING gravity for a typical IPA...

test your hydrometer in 60° water to be sure.

Yup bad hydrometer! New one reads 1.046 Wish I remember what the OG was. I know that it was right on the money (with the correct Hydro).
I've got a can of Malt Extract Hopped Dark. What would happen if I added this and X amount water.... pitch some new yeast ?

Also, I was going to say that if it stuck I cannot believe the other addition of the other yeast didn't do a thing but settle.

You do not need the DME as your wort is still highly fermentable. Get the starter going, pitch and see what happens.

if that's been sitting there since january at that gravity level, i say kudos to you and your sanitation! mine would have been contaminated as all get out by then i would bet. you would have tasted the badness in your sample. re-pitch, maybe bring your fermentation temp up and aerate slightly, good luck.

You might want to give it a day or two and verify that it has indeed stopped dropping. I'd hate for you to get this far into a batch and end up jumping the gun and having some bombs go off :).

Y'all all I did was sanitize the hydrometer and drop it in the 6 gal carboy. Watched it fall to 1.011. Crazy..... it fermented out in 24-36 hrs. I just couldn't believe how fast. That's why I pitched some diff yeast that did nothing but settle back in January.
Its been on a few oak chips the whole time.

Dave

Back