Extract ESB recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meteorbrews

Reaction score
Hey there,

I am trying to nail down the extract version of Bier Muncher's redhook esb Clone. This will be my 2nd batch so I want make sure everything looks good.

I want to brew a 5g batch and Pmoe's suggestion was:

"5 lbs pale LME

2.5 lbs toasted malt
1 lb crystal 60L
0.5 lbs carapils

.50 oz Williamette [5.50%] (60 min)
.50 oz Tettnang [6.50%] (30 min)
.50 oz Williamette [4.60%] (20 min)
.50 oz Tettnang [6.50%] (5 min)

Not sure how to go about steeping the specialty grains. Maybe 1.5 gallons for 30 mins @ 155?"

BM suggested steeping for 1 hour, a BIAB partial mash i guess?

Mostly want to make sure the malt selection and steeping time/temp are ok and make sense for this brew. Aside from that I will follow the same hop/fermentation schedule.

Thanks for your help,

B.

PurpleJeepXJ said:
Are Tettnang and Willy really in the ESB style? Also what kind of roasted malt are you calling for? 2.5# would make it fairly dark IMO.

+1 IMO Use EKG and fuggles.

Wouldn't be roasted malt, I would be toasting some base malt myself, 15-20 mins in the oven which will be lighter than roasted malts

Hmmm... Well then I have no idea what the lovibond/SRM would be and how that would impact the style. Is this a recipe from somewhere else or is it completely from scratch?

Back