Braggott Mead- honey settling to bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LizardBrew83

Reaction score
I made a Braggot mead today and it seems as though I may have added the honey when the wort was a little colder than I would have like it to be so not all the honey dissolved and there is a bunch of honey settling to the bottom of the fermentor the size of a yeast cake. Does any body know if this will eventually dissolve as the yeast do there job? Also, i know it's early but what do you guys think, carbonate Braggot mead or not? Thanks

The honey will dissolve and be consumed by the yeast.

As for the carbonation question, what's the recipe?

Thanks I knew I was probably just worrying. It is my first mead and my first time using this much honey in a recipe.
This is the recipe...
5 gallons

7 lb. Pilsen malt
2 lb. Munich
.25 lb. Caramel 10

Mash- 153 degrees, then single decoction mash out temps.

Boil-30 min.
1 oz sticklebracht hops (8.6 AA)- fwh
.5 oz ""- last 5 min.
Cooled wort to 100 degrees and then added 9 lbs. (delicious) Mississippi wildflower honey.
Yeast- lavlin d47
OG- 1.132 (my best guess, assuming about 4 lb. didn't dissolve - my hydrometer read 1.100)

FG- aiming for 1.025- 1.030

It's kind of a kick up version of Northern Brewer's Braggot mead.
I was thinking I would probably lightly carbonate- but I may have to wait 7-8 months and taste if I should or not.

Back