Aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betterale

Reaction score
My first wine I aged in the bottles, Is there benefit or more pluses to mass aging with oak chips? I don't brew often enough to get a small oak barrel to use

My understanding of bulk aging Vers bottle aging is that you end up with a similar product over all because it aged the same way. Bottle aging separates the wine so it ages just a little different then the bottle next to it.it could be it came in contact with light or it was higher on a shelve which caused the temp to be a little different. I tend to bulk age for about 2 months and then bottle are the rest of the time. I don't have room to have multi bulk aging things going on at any one time. Meads on the other hand I bulk age for almost a year because its easier to keep from sampling it then. :)

I typcally keep my wines in 'bulk aging' for several months and oak it for several weeks of that time (depending on the wine) using chips. I then bottle for at least 4 months before opening. Just got out a Sangiovese that I made in the spring, and its just about ready for christmas!

Back