You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have a wife then changing the temps is a lot more dificult. Luckily I have a big old three story house. Tons of different temp zones. So I do have fermenters all over the house depending on the temp I want. I have a fermentation chamber but often more brews going than will fit in it.

Harumph. In this house "wife" is the one wondering if we can turn the temp down... However we also are lucky to have several good zones in our house...

when this pops up in your FB timeline and your first thought is "is mannoheptulose fermentable?"

then you spend the next 20 minutes researching

Mannoheptulose is a hexokinase inhibitor. It is a heptose, a monosaccharide with seven carbon atoms. By blocking the enzyme hexokinase, it prevents glucose phosphorylation. As a result, the breakdown of glucose is inhibited

become disillusioned and think, "probably not"

Capture.JPG

When you finally kick your first keg of homebrew and become more emotionally confused than you ever have been in your life. Should I be happy, sad, reflective, angry? I didn't even get a picture of the crystal clear Pilsner goodness before it went.
...and you have a pint of something else in memoriam :p

Also, when the correlation between urinating and head retention make perfect sense

When you are in a local bar and see the waitress-server-bartender throwing away Sam Adams bottles and you think "man I could use those" so you go ask if you can have all the empties.

When you get to the point where you realize they aren't inventing quick ways to clean everything in the brewery. Much less, smaller than a trunkload of equipment...

When someone reminds you it's a long weekend on Friday afternoon, by the time they're finished talking you're already figuring out if you have enough time to get to the LHBS in time, so you can fit in an unplanned brew. :D

When your shift at work of manning a Psychiatric Observation Cell means you plan out a brewing schedule for the next 6+ months.

I have the brew dates, bottling dates, and ready to drink dates for my next 6 or 7 batches planned out lol

You see a thread about brewing with spruce needles and actually stop to think, 'hmmmm maybe I can try this someday....'

I have to work really hard to save myself from myself sometimes...

...when you realize that, against all scientific logic, time actually does fluctuate in the rate at which it passes. The proof of this is that it comes to a standstill on the first day of bottle-conditioning.

When your happy your wife is only partly pissed off about beer and your thrilled.

Bought a 1/6 barrel of apex Predator for (cough cough) R&D reasons. My wife yelled at me when she saw how much it cost and said I should brew more!

I win!
Mug:)

...when your wife actually goes into the LHBS WITH you instead of waiting in the car.

AND helps you measure out grains!

Or will make starter wort for you so its cooled down by the time you are home from work

Your temp control habits help in the kitchen, especially in things like candy making.

You clean the kitchen because brewday is the next day.

Back