Chai spiced Cran-Apple Cyser (I hope)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefcurt

Reaction score
This is truly going to be a "throw it together because this is what I have and see what happens" kind of experiment. I have a broken foot and I'm in a cast so I can't drive to the LHBS. Nor am I working because of it so I don't have the extra cash for buying anything anyways.

If it actually works then I will bottle it for Christmas gifts this year.

1 gallon of Apple Juice
1 gallon of Cran-Apple Juice
4.5# honey
1 gallon of Chai spiced black tea made with 6 tea bags and water.
1 pkg Red Star Montrache wine yeast. (originally for a batch of Apflewine)
lots of yeast nutrient

I made a starter with about a 1/3 cup of honey, water and 2 teaspoons of yeast nutrient. Let it sit for a couple hours until it started foaming. Warmed the jug of honey up in a hot water bath and added it to the apple juice. Shook the crap out of it to mix it well and aerate then added the cran-apple juice and tea. Shook again just for good luck. Pitched the yeast and crossed my fingers.

O.G. 1.090 @ 60f

I'm brewing something similar right now minus the chai tea though I find the idea of the spice in it very interesting, I hope it goes well!

Update! It has cleared up nicely and I'm transferring to 1 gallon jugs. I might transfer again later to regular wine bottles but I'm not sure yet.
Final gravity reads .996! I was not expecting that at all. Might be a little dryer than I wanted but thats fine. Chai spice is present but subtle. It's drinkable now but I think a couple months aging will do nothing but make it better.

It may taste dry now, but you'll be surprised how much apparent sweetness returns once the alcohol taste mellowed with some aging.

Back