Stainless Snobs, I got a question for ya.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squeeky

Reaction score
First off I'm considering going to the bright-side with all Stainless in my upcoming build. Previously has used Brass McMaster QD's, brass valves & fittings but with the price of stainless camlocks I'm highly considering the switch. However I have a few questions, which pertain to my upcoming build.

1. If using a HERMS setup, since the wort is boil post HLT is there a sanitary concern with using copper?

2. The next question is similar to post boil with the chiller, currently have a chillzilla. However I want this brewery to be my last built, would I benefit from a stainless plate chiller over copper?

3. The more I read forums, the more I read people do not take apart their 3-piece valves. Does being able to take them apart, really benefit in sanitation as a PBW rinse would clean the same area in contact with beer?

4. Does using an electric heat element defeat all purpose in going stainless? My finish product would be passing over the element which is not stainless.

I realize these maybe newbie questions, but I want to do this new brewery right, having to plan at home, and build at future date all in one or two days makes for a lot of planning and pre-purchasing.

Squeeky

1. Not at all. If I had the money, I'd build my whole system out of copper. If the commercial breweries do it, you can assume it's good enough for us. It's just harder to maintain. I don't think I'd enjoy having to polish my kettles every year to keep them looking nice.

2. Copper has better cooling potential because it handles temperature changes better for this type of application. This is my opinion though. Stainless is just nice because it's easy to clean and sanitary.

3. I only take my rig apart about 3-4 times a year. I use two piece ball valves and see nothing wrong with it. 3 piece valves are just cooler looking.

4. I'm not sure about electric builds since I use gas, but I don't think it will make a huge difference since you're boiling it.

All the bells and whistles you're talking about are for people who can afford it. There's absolutely no reason why you HAVE to go all stainless. Stainless just looks great and is easy to maintain. Plus, it'll last a lot longer than copper and brass. My biggest thing while building my rig was...if I'm spending a ton of money on stainless kettles, why taint them with brass to save a few bucks (or hundreds, I suppose).

1. Nope, copper is fine pre-fermentation. No sanitation concerns...

2. A plate chiller isn't completely stainless (usually) it's SS & Brazed copper, they are more efficient and you'll get more Bling factor, but that's about it.

3. I use regular SS ball valves, I just run cleaner through them and store them open so there isn't any water in there.

4. If you want a SS immersion heater, you could find a Cartridge Heater that would fit the bill. Check this out.

Back