Anyone else having trouble with Nottingham?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LagerLover24

Reaction score
Made an AG batch of Edwort's Pale ale. I rehydrated the notty per instructions on the package, but have 0 activety 30 hrs later. I've made this beer 2 other times, but with Safale-05. The EXP date on the package said 12, 2011. Also, the temp is at 65 right now, so I don't think thats it. Anyone else having problems?

Wow, I just saw the thread below mine. Sorry for clogging up the forum. Guess I'm off to the LHBS for the trusty WLP001.

Ok sorry if I'm repeating but, I had the same problem with the said lot number Nottingham. After 24 hours still nothing, the (beer) was clear and everything had settled to the bottom. I called my LHBS and they said they had not had any problems with that yeast. They suggested that even though i did everything as normal the yeast got caught up in the settlement before it could get active. They suggested to sanitize a racking cane and stir it. I did that and within 6 -8 hours i started to see significant reaction. Its been 24 hours since then and all is good, maybe this helps.

I used a stater and there was no activity for over a day until i shook up the bucket a bit. This is the first batch with very little airlock activity for me but its fermenting away, I just took a gravity sample earlier tonight and it was almost done. There is a nice thick krausen on top and it stank like beer.

Latest posts

Back