Secondary dry hopping - hops on top or in beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLoBaLReBeL

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering. I'm dry hopping for the first time. I just threw my pellets in and all the hops are sitting on top of my beer rather then in it. Should I swirl it around to get the hops into the beer or just leave it as it is?

they will work their way down the beer and eventually settle out, just let 'em be. :mug:

You're going for aroma only with dry hops. I typically dry hop about 2-3 days before I'm ready to bottle for, what I've found, to be maximum hop aroma.

I dry hop with pellets. I just toss them in. I usually wait 2 weeks, by which time they have sunk to the bottom. I generally plan on 2 weeks for dry hop.

You sound anxious to get to your beer. If you gently swirl the fermenter, you will break the surface tension and some will drop to the bottom quicker than they would do naturally. Personally I try not to touch the beer, and let it take it's own time. Give it time, they will drop.

Latest posts

Back