Nottingham Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danorocks17

Reaction score
About three and a half weeks ago I bottled my christmas ale. This year I used Notty yeast, which is the first time i've ever used it. I cracked one open the other day, and while the beer was obviously green in taste, I wanted to make sure it would be good to go in a month when my wife and I throw our annual x-mas party. But I noticed that there was little to no carbonation. Is Notty a notorious slow carbing yeast?

The 3 weeks at 70 is only a "suggestion" or rule of thumb for low to average grav beers....below 1.060.

You have spices in there, which will also affect the time it takes to carb.

Read my blog Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning, for more info...

Relax, all will be well by Christmas.

Thanks Revvy, I brewed this beer last year and didn't remember having and carbing issues, but now that you mention it I think I did read that spices will affect carbonation. I just don't want to disappoint Jesus for his birthday and have a flat beer :fro:

Thanks Revvy, I brewed this beer last year and didn't remember having and carbing issues, but now that you mention it I think I did read that spices will affect carbonation. I just don't want to disappoint Jesus for his birthday and have a flat beer :fro:

Well KUDOS to you for actually brewing far enough ahead that you left plenty of time for beery perfection. Just wait til those folks who brew on Dec 14th start posting that their beer's not ready on Dec 24th........

Or this weekend for Turkey Day.

:mug:

Back