Wheat recipe experiment, 4- 5 yeasts, help on grain bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jumbo82

Reaction score
This weekend I plan to brew up a 12.5 gallon batch of beer. I'm going to divide up the wort into five seperate carboys (2.5 gallons into 3 gallon carboys) and pitch each with a different yeast. Earlier this week I was shipped the following yeasts (LHBS didn't carry them);

-Weihenstephan Weizen Activator Wyeast ACT3068- 4.25 oz.
-Bavarian Wheat Activator Wyeast ACT3638- 4.25 oz.
-White Labs Hefeweizen Ale Yeast WL300
-White Labs Hefeweizen IV Ale Yeast WL380
-Danstar Munich German Wheat Beer Yeast (I may or may not include this one in the experiment)

I'd like to keep the grain bill fairly simple. What would be a good grain bill and O.G. that would work well for all of these yeasts? Does a recipe with 1/3 Pilsner Malt and 2/3 German Wheat with a target O.G. of 1.050 sound about right? I'm looking forward to sampling all these beers side by side in a couple of months. Any input would be most appreciated. Thanks.

That sounds perfect. I do my hefes around 60% wheat, 40% pilsner @ 10-15 IBU's. Keep us posted on the results between all the different types. I gravitate toward the Weihenstephan strain, so this should be interesting

I'll update once I have a chance to sample them. I won't be able to properly judge them, but I should at least be able to rank them according to my taste preference. My goal is to find the one that tastes best to me, so hopefully I can suceed at that.

I made a batch yesterday using all 5 yeasts. The OG was a bit low, only 1.043. Today, 20 hours after pitching, 3 of the 5 carboys were very active. The two WL batches had absolutely no activity. I didn't think i'd need starters with 2.5 gal batches. Anyway, i re-pitched both with WB-06. Better than nothing.

Back