Racking Wine Kit Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrbrownfolks

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been posted before. I tried a search but didn't get the information I'm looking for. I bucket fermented a white zinfandel kit into 6 gallons and will be racking this weekend. Should I rack into a 6 gallon carboy and top or 5 gallon and put the last gallon into a single carboy to allow the lees to settle and top that? Second question, I want to avoid using Kieselsol and Chitosan that came with the kit due to family allergies. Is there a preferred fining substitution for those two ingredients?

Sorry if this has been posted before. I tried a search but didn't get the information I'm looking for. I bucket fermented a white zinfandel kit into 6 gallons and will be racking this weekend. Should I rack into a 6 gallon carboy and top or 5 gallon and put the last gallon into a single carboy to allow the lees to settle and top that? Second question, I want to avoid using Kieselsol and Chitosan that came with the kit due to family allergies. Is there a preferred fining substitution for those two ingredients?

You can rack to a 6 gallon carboy, but don't top up until after degassing (according to the instructions).

I always leave out the KC finings. You don't need anything to replace it, either. The wine will be clear without them.

When you rack, following the instructions for degassing. Add the sulfite as directed, but don't add the finings. Top up as directed, and keep the wine in a cool-ish place if you can. In 30 days, it should be very nice and clear even without the finings!

Back