Interesting problem - Hot alcohols

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cubbies

Tastes like butterdirt
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I brewed up an Altbier, oh I dunno, a while ago. I am at work and don't have my sheets in front of me. Anyway, I pitched said altbier onto a cake of Wyeast German Ale 1007 that I had used to ferment a Kolsch previously.

Well, my keezer has been pretty full for while, but I finally got my keg of altbier into the keezer last Friday. I tried a sample last night just to see how the carbonation was going; and obviously I was excited to see what it tasted like. Well, to my dismay, although the beer did taste mighty fine, it has a definitely hot alcohol aftertaste. At first I thought maybe it was just the first pull and maybe there was some starsan left in my lines or something. So I tried another sample, and the hot alcohol was still there.

Now, this was surprising to me because I know fermenting on the hotside will cause hot alcohol flavors and I know that certain strands of yeast sometimes produce hot alcohol flavors, but neither should have been the case. I have used 1007 a number of times and it is a very clean yeast IMO, and I brewed this particular beer over the winter on the low side for the strain; around 58 degrees.

So, this morning I went to the old standby and read something that I guess I overlooked previously:

Fusel alcohols can be produced by excessive amounts of yeast...

So, I guess that by pitching on the cake of the Kolsch, I actually overpitched my beer and created fusel alcohols.

I am actually not concerned about it. It is a pretty minor flaw and I would imagine that it would condition out over the next couple of weeks, but I just didn't know that was a problem, and had I of known, I probably would have thought it to be just about impossible on the homebrew side.

So there ya have it, pitching on a cake of yeast can lead to overpitching and off flavors associated with it. I am going to have to be more careful next time.

Good to know. My desire to be continuously brewing has recently been reinvigorated, and I was considering doing this very thing, so I could save on yeast costs...

Thanks for the note!

I have gotten into the habit of washing the yeast, or if I reuse the cake it is only once, and usually after I have removed some of it.
Thanks for providing an example of why it's good to do.

I do wash my yeast, but if I am going to use the same yeast back to back, I will just use the cake. I have done this a number of times with no problems. However, I am convinced that overpitching due to the cake was the problem with this beer. From now on I will take a cup or so of the cake out before racking on top of it.

Back