Kegging, Carbonation, and Temp Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meddin

Reaction score
Hello All,

I did some searching, and didn't find exactly what I was looking for, so bear with me please.

I recently acquired a 2nd CO2 tank & regulator (for free :D), and I want to use it to force carb my beers in my pipeline that are currently lagering in kegs waiting for a spot to open up in the keezer.

I know that CO2 dissolves more easily into colder beer. My 'lagering' temps in my basement are hovering around 55 degrees. If I set my regulator at 17 PSI, I should expect to get a carb level of about 2.2 vol. or so at that temp.

Here's the question: After my beer is fully carbed, and I move it to my keezer at 42 or so degrees, and put it on dispensing pressure of 10 or 11 PSI, I should be ok, correct? My beer wont be overcarbed just by getting colder, right?

Please excuse my ignorance. Kegging is fairly new in my life :mug:

That seems right to me. You'll want to purge the pressure first, then place it in the colder kegerator at the correct dispensing pressure.

But yes, if you follow the carbonation chart it'll be perfectly carbed up.

That's what I thought, but wanted to make sure I didn't make a rookie kegging mistake. :)

Thanks Yooper!

I've used the charts already, I just wanted to make sure that when I cooled the kegs to serving temp that my 2.2 vols. didnt 'magically' turn into 3.5 vols. or something :).

Thanks!

Back