No Airlock Activity??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuips

Reaction score
I finished my 9th batch (3rd AG) on evening of Thursday the 2nd, since then there has been absolutely no activity in the airlock, not even pressure to push the liquid to one side of the airlock. All my other brews the airlock has bubbled quite vigorously or I even needed a blowoff.

So I know that this does not necessarily mean it is not fermenting, but my question is - How long should I wait before I open it up the take a hydro reading to be sure that is actually fermenting so I could add more yeast if needed?

Thanks

like you said an airlock is not a fermentation indicator. i assume your brewing in a bucket since this is the case with 99% of the "its not bubbling" posts. the CO2 is just escaping elsewhere. really its only been 2 days give it some more time. if you are worried just stick your good ear up to the side of the bucket. you should be able to hear the gentle hiss of the CO2 bubbles coming to the service. if not wait till Monday or so then take a gravity reading.

Go ahead and pitch a pack of s-05. It won't hurt. Post the results in 48 hours. I'm sure it'll be a go by then.

When I looked at it earlier I gave it a good swirl and a few hours later its started to bubble... I do not know if this is b/c of the swirl or just coincidence, but it seems to be all normal now! Thanks.

Since as the sticky in the beginniers beer section clearly states that fermentation can take 72 hours to start....then we recommend that if brewers have any doubts, they take a hydro reading after 72 hours have passed. It's pretty straight forward, and it's a sticky for a reason.

Back