Refrigerate Dry Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
I work at a small time LHBS/Craft Brew store and we keep all the dry yeast on the shelves - NOT refrigerated. The other two stores in the area refrigerate the dry yeast.

Thoughts??? Shod I steer the owners into refrigerating?

I would not buy yeast that was left on a shelf. Definitely tell them.

One LHBS close to where I work keeps the beer yeast (liquid & dry) in a fridge. They keep the dry wine yeast packets behind the counter on a shelf, where the sun can shine directly on it through a window. They market themselves primarily as a wine store as well.

The LHBS near my house keeps of their yeast in the fridge. When I buy yeast locally, I get it from the place near my house.

Put it to you this way... Even grocery stores keep yeast in a refrigerator (usually in the same section as the eggs and butter)...

Unless you're offering the yeast to people, for free, as yeast food (to toss into the boil) keep them buggers chilled...

Right from Lalvin's site:
"Dry yeast can be refrigerated or frozen for greater stability during long term storage. Allow cold yeast packages to reach room temperature then rehydrate as directed for use."

So unless you're going through the yeast FAST, I would keep it chilled when in the store.

Latest posts

Back