Possible pellicle forming on partially-wild brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winnph

Reaction score
Here are a couple photos of a brew I put together, inspired by some people who mimicked ancient Sumerian beers. Mine used a combination of commercial yeast (Wyeast 1272) and the yeast and other bugs naturally occurring on dates. The main fermentation finished up a few weeks ago, and I noticed it's starting to form little bubbles on the surface. Is this a pellicle in its infancy? I've never brewed with anything other than commercial sacc strains before, so I don't know what I'm looking at.

First, the residue from the krausen looks a little unusual:
krausen.residue.jpg

Then, here's the surface of the beer right now:
possible.pellicle.jpg

In case you're curious about the "beer" recipe: http://beer.winnphillips.com/show.cgi?bid=108

Looks perfectly normal to me. You'll know a pellicle when you see one. They look gross. That looks like some CO2 bubbles.

Well the reason I thought it was strange is there were no bubbles a few days ago -- it had settled down completely -- and then yesterday the surface started getting a real thin film over it, which is now catching bubbles and retaining them.

Back