Pommy (Limey?) Downunder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkMc

Reaction score
Hi All

New member on the Gold Coast, Australia.

Got a Coopers Micro Brew kit for xmas. Filled it with steriliser yesterday, started brewing today. Starting slowly with a Coopers Lager and 1kg of Coopers Brew Enhancer 1 in place of the sugar.

Its about 28 degrees in the bathroom today, so the brew is in there. The kit said 21-27 is ideal but up to 32 is ok.

Mark

Great to have you up from down under!

If you can cool that brew down, I would. The lower end of that range will give you a better product, and 28 is hot!

Is it summer down there? Try putting you fermenter in a tub of water and adding a couple frozen water bottles or some ice to cool it down.

The yeast fermenting will raise the temp of the liquid 5 to 10 degrees (farenheit), so we try to stay cool when fermenting. I ferement most of my beer at 16 to 18 degrees c.

I hope this helps!

And welcome to the fun!

I dont want to push you away from our board... but I am also a member at Aussiehomebrewer.com and wanted to make sure you check in over there. It is great to get hooked up with local brewers to share beer and recipes.

:mug:

Welcome! It might be worth your while to put the brew in a tun of cool water, as fermenting beer will be warmer than ambient.

Since it's summer downunder, any pictures of Santa's helpers in bikinis?:ban:

images

:fro:

Thanks for the replies and advise. Lots of 500ml bottles in the freezer now. Bath is currently filling with cold water.

It is summer, been in the 30's for the last 6-8 weeks and will be for another 8 weeks.

Its bubbling away really well this morning, and the froth is against the top of the brewer.

OK, started adding frozen bottles and ice packs, planning to rotate them so have another batch in the freezer now.

Thermometer on the brew pot is starting to drop a little, heading towards 26 now. Also we have just had some rain and its a bit cooler outside so that should help.

Latest posts

Back