First time caller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChugachBrewing

Reaction score
Here's what I do. I have only posted 3 times in 4 years, so thought I'd throw it out there. I have a biab 2 gallon system, 15 gallon keggle setup, and a 55 gallon blichman boilermaker setup.

Lately have been in to the wild beers.

Recent fun "wilder" stuff:
Flemish Red in wine barrel
Saison in wine barrel
Re-cultured Crooked Stave's Petit Sour blend and made one of my own. Just bottled. Amazing.
Flemish Red without wine barrel (won our local hbc comp)
Straight Brett-C
Straight Brett-L
Straight Brett-B
Belgian brown with Lacto

Anyone else tried doing straight bretts? I'm trying to learn how to blend them.

Furthermore, if anyone is in the New England area and is into tasting sours, I'm always looking for feedback.
Cheers.

IMAG0680.jpg

IMAG0644.jpg

IMAG0643.jpg

IMAG0641.jpg

IMAG0013.jpg

its much easier than it gets credit for. i have a table top corker and it works great. hell, its even broken and still works. the only drawback is cost. but it really gets attention.

Bah- I was hoping you were around CT somewhere, but it looks like you're in Maine... In any case, I just did my 2nd and 3rd batches of sours, so any great advice, our maybe recipes? I just ordered the limited edition flemish red yeast, any recipe suggestions?

Well if you ever come this direction, I have 5 sour strains I keep around for fun.

With regard to sours, I keep the malt bill simple. I like to let the yeast do the work, it's what we as homebrewers have above major breweries.
In my last sour batch, I used hops that were 10 years old. I have 3-4 lbs of them I use for my sour batches when I don't want hop character.

The beers I've done using mostly base malts tend to be much "tart"-er while the ones I've done with multiple crystal malts have produced apricot and passion fruit flavors.

Unless you're dying for replication, try using the yeasts several times in different styles. Its always fun to see what happens.

Also, buy your favorite sour beer, and harvest the yeast out of it. Odds are, it's close to the price of a wyeast strain anyhow, so at least you get some great beer! (Don't use Rodenbach, there's nothing in there sadly)

Oh, and I always drink/bottle the clear liquid off a starter. Its great even without C02.

Back