Maple Nut Brown gravity question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbuzz

Reaction score
I've had a Maple Nut Brown sitting in primary for a little less than two weeks. Needed a blowoff for the first day or two when it first started fermenting, then for the past 9 days or so it's been pretty slow...getting a bubble every once in a while. Decided to take a reading thinking that it should be getting close to finishing up. OG was 1.060 and projected FG is 1.015-1.018...but the sample today was only at 1.025. Like I said, I'm still getting a bubble every once in a while so I don't think it's completely finished, but what could be taking this sucker so long? The maple syrup? I used about 2 cups or 1.5 lbs. with 10 mins left in the boil. Used WLP005 with no starter - figured the maple syrup would get it going pretty quickly. Any thoughts? I guess I can't consider it a stuck fermentation if it's still going a little. I'm going to take another reading tomorrow, but was wondering why this is moving along so slowly...

Sounds pretty normal to me for a 1.060 brown, all fermentations are not the same, it's RDWHAHB time here IMO. Leave it for another week or two and check the gravity again.

I'd love to know how it turns out and if you wouldn't mind, would love the recipe.

It's nothing special, but here's the recipe I put together:

4 gallon boil (all that I can bring to a boil on my stove) for a 5 gallon batch

6 lbs light malt extract
.25 lb of each crystal 120, chocolate and biscuit for steeping

.75 Sterling @ 60 min
.25 Willamette @ 5 min

I added 2 oz maltodextrin + a whirfloc tablet with about 15 mins left in boil

I added about 2 cups (1.5 lbs) of real Grade B Maple Syrup (brought it back from trip to Vermont) with 10 mins left in boil. In restrospect, I would have preferred to have added this at flameout...or at least closer to it, maybe at 5 mins or so.

Then used wlp005 as stated above as yeast.

I also have some oak chips that I was considering racking it onto when it's done fermenting, but not sure about it. Any thoughts??

Took another reading last night and I'm down to 1.023...so it's still moving. I'll probably let it sit another solid week and then check the gravity again and decide what to do.

Latest posts

Back