Degassed for the first time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devianttouch

Reaction score
I degassed for the first time tonight. It's a cranberry wine, 1 gallon, in a Carlo Rossi bottle. I used the hanger and drill method (cut hanger, sanitize, stick in drill, degass) I'm glad I did it in the sink, because it foamed up like crazy! I did loose a little wine but not a lot, and I think I have the hang of it now. I did this about 10 minutes, until I wasn't getting more bubbles.

Of course, my roommate had to come see what I was doing making such a racket.

Him: "You are drilling your wine?"
Me: "Yes. I'm degassing it."
Him: "It has gas?"
Me: "It's carbon dioxide. I'm letting the bubbles out."
Him: "Um... okay."

He must think I'm a lot weirder now that I've starting homebrewing. And I was pretty weird already.

Good job. Out of curiosity when did you start this batch?

Do you know how to check your wine per the 'pfft test'? Essentially placing a sample in a test tube or even a 50ml bottle(think airplane liquor bottle), put thumb over opening, shake shake shake, place ear near opening, remove thumb. If you hear any 'pfft' you still have gas.

Thanks for the tip!

I started the batch 3 weeks ago. I'm still pretty new at this so that might not be the best - I think I should have degassed sooner. Still learning.

Latest posts

Back