low carbonation after two weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuckeyeOne

Reaction score
I opened up two 12 oz. bottles of a wheat/rye IPA that have been carbonating for two weeks in a 65 degree basement. I used 3/4 cup of priming sugar in 2 cups of water added to a 5 gallon batch bottling bucket.

Both bottles had fairly low carbonation. Will more time improve the carbonation?

I opened up two 12 oz. bottles of a wheat/rye IPA that have been carbonating for two weeks in a 65 degree basement.

This makes sense to me why they're not carbed yet.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

If a beer isn't carbed by "x number of weeks" you just have to give them more time. If you added your sugar, then the beer will carb up eventually, it's really a foolproof process. All beers will carb up eventually. A lot of new brewers think they have to "troubleshoot" a bottling issue, when there really is none, the beer knows how to carb itself. In fact if you run beersmiths carbing calculator, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.

ANd since your in a 65 degree place, you have to figure another extra week. So I wouldn't bother touching them for 2 more weeks.

65 degrees is fairly low for conditioning if i were i would move the bottles to a warmer area of your house. or you can just wait a little longer at that temp they will take longer to carb up but they will just give time!!! move a few to a warmer temp then give it another week. then try it again!

Latest posts

Back