A Better Malt Backbone for High AA SMaSH Brews?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zuesy

Reaction score
I've been SMaSHing it up lately and have, at this point, tried all of the "aroma", low AA hops I was interested in.

Now, I've gotten my hands on a few higher AA hops (specifically Green Bullet, Nelson Sauvin, Target and Horizon).

I've made one high AA SMaSH - a Sorachi Ace/MO. It tastes OK, but is lacking a good malt backbone - the beer seems a little out of balance, IMO.

That said, what's the best malt for these high AA brews? Or should I be doing something with the recipe (mash, grain total, batch size, etc.) to balance out the hops?

The standard recipe I've been using is below. Thanks!

+++++++

5 gallon batch

10# Marris Otter - mashed at 156 (batch sparge w/mash out)
*shooting for an OG of about 1.055

~5-6 AAU @ 60 min
~4-5 AAU @ 15 min and 5 min
*shooting for around 35 IBU

WLP001 (with starter)
Whirlfloc

Ferment in primary @ 68* for 3 weeks then bottle

Why not just give some other yeast a chance? Cal Ale is notoriously attenuative and hop-forward. An obvious choice is 002/1968.

You could try a mash schedule favoring dextrins (higher temp, shorter duration), but that will get you more "body" rather than "maltiness."

I have some washed 002. I'll try that with the Target this weekend.

I've been so caught up in the hops/grain aspect, I never really thought of a SMaSH as a way to evaluate yeast as well. Sort of a SMaSHY...

My 002 smelled like a mason jar full of corpses, so I used some S-04 instead. Took a hydro sample last night, and the taste was exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for the advice! :mug:

I LIKE TURTLES.
i-like-turtles.jpg

I mean, S-04!

I have found that in my hoppy ales, if I mash too low, the beer get's to thin and lacks the malt backbone you are speaking of. I like 154 for my IPA's, if you pitch enough yeast you will still get decent attenuation. That is my advice, mash a little higher. You may also want to try a yeast strain that compliments malt a little more, maybe WLP029....I am using it for a pale ale right now and can let you know in about 4 weeks how it turns out.

Funny thing is, I'll be trying that. Accidentally.

I made a half batch of DeathBrewer's vienna/northern brewer SMaSH Monday and forgot to recalculate my equipment in Beersmith to get the proper sparge amount with the half batch. So instead of 2.5 gallons at 1.055, I ended up with 1.75 gallons at 1.082.

My first SMaSH IIPA!

Sounds great! Love SMaSH Brewing not only do you get a great beer you get to learn the flavors so well. APA, IPA, IIPA, Bitters, Milds etc... all fit well in SMaSH.

Let us know how it turns. Sound awesome.. Drooooooool......

Back