Does LME need to be boiled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Possibly, but unless you aren't going to boil at all, why not boil it to make sure it dissolves evenly?

Not boiling at all sounds like a bad idea. Are you not adding any hops?

But I thought LME was already sterile.

It "should" be sterile...but sometimes it's not. There have been stories of people opening up a can and having mold and other nasties on the top of their extract. So...there may be junk in there you want to kill before you add it to the fermenter. I'd boil for at least 10min, but the recommended for anything is 15 minutes.

Possibly, but unless you aren't going to boil at all, why not boil it to make sure it dissolves evenly?

Not boiling at all sounds like a bad idea. Are you not adding any hops?

Since summer is here, my brewing days will be limited. I want to make a 10 gal batch, but can only boil 6-1/2. My plan is to do a 6 gal boil at about 1.060. Then add 6 lbs LME at flame out and split it between 2 carboys. Top off each with 2 gal water which should put me at 1.055 - 1.058. I did the math real quick so I may be off a little.

I guess not boiling the LME is just to save some time, so I guess I will.

Thanks

Bob

Back