Using the grains after steeping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ginuwineus

Reaction score
I would like to use the chocolate grains I steeped in my Brown Ale for something else. I've heard that I can use them to make bread. Is this true? Any other suggestions???

The best way to do this IMO is to 1st dry the grains. A dehydrator or your oven set on the lowest setting will work as long as the grains are spread out on a cookie sheet.

Once they are dry you can easily grind them into a flour like consistancy with a cheap or old blender. NOTE: Wet grains in a blender = mess. Then once you have the flour you can sub out some flour for your spent grain stuff. For bread I useally do a 1 cup substitution per loaf.

There are a few recipes here on HBT. Just search for the item with "spent grain" in front of it like : Spent grain pizza dough, pretzels, real bread, dog treats, ect.

Composting grains makes excellent compost. Great composition for plant nutrition.

The best way to do this IMO is to 1st dry the grains. A dehydrator or your oven set on the lowest setting will work as long as the grains are spread out on a cookie sheet.

Once they are dry you can easily grind them into a flour like consistancy with a cheap or old blender. NOTE: Wet grains in a blender = mess. Then once you have the flour you can sub out some flour for your spent grain stuff. For bread I useally do a 1 cup substitution per loaf.

There are a few recipes here on HBT. Just search for the item with "spent grain" in front of it like : Spent grain pizza dough, pretzels, real bread, dog treats, ect.
I put mine into the food processor wet. It's enough to break up the husks while leaving some nice larger pieces that give the bread a nice visual, and a bit of texture. It's a little messy, but not too bad at all.

I measure it out in 1/2 cup increments, and cover a wax paper lined cookie sheet. Freeze them first, then bag the measured grains. I also freeze bags filled with 12 oz of second runnings from that batch. Thaw out 1/2 cup grain, 12 oz of second runnings per loaf of bread.

I also use the grains for dog biscuits and pizza dough.

Let's say I have 17lbs of spent grains that have been sitting in my (sealed) mash tun since last week... obviously I'm not making anything edible with them now, but would they still be good for composting or something like that?

Hypothetically speaking of course...

I've decided I'm going to made my dog some treats out of the spent grains... Check out this recipe:

4 cups spent grain
2 cups flour
1 cup peanut butter
2 eggs

Mix all ingredients thoroughly.
Press down into a dense layer on a large cookie sheet.
Score almost all the way through into the shapes you want.
Bake for about half an hour at 350 F to solidify them
Loosen them from the sheet, break the biscuits apart and place them, loosely spread out on the cookie sheet.
Bake in the oven at 225 F for 3-4 hours (or until they are really dry) to prevent mold growth.
Store in an air tight container to keep them dry and mold free.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Let's say I have 17lbs of spent grains that have been sitting in my (sealed) mash tun since last week... obviously I'm not making anything edible with them now, but would they still be good for composting or something like that?

Hypothetically speaking of course...

I think by now they are composting themselves...that is going to be one stinky mess to deal with...

Back