PET bottle sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin1976

Reaction score
Hi.

I've been making beer for a while, I keg all my ales, and regularly make lager and store in 2 litre pet bottles as it gives a better lager fizz than kegging.. only prob is the fizz disturbs the sediment when u open or pour it.

Does anyone know an easy way to get rid of the sediment?

I read on the net somewhere to prime and keep the bottles upside down and when clear give a half turn on the cap over the sink and it blasts it out leaving clear beer. Has anyone done this method?

Original Post- 2:42 pm. Second impatient post 2:43...... ;)

Actually the longer you chill the bottles the tighter the yeast cake will be. I found a bottle that was in my fridge for 3 months where the yeast cake was so tight that you could totally upend the bottle and hit it like an old bottle of ketchup and it wouldn't dislodge the sediment layer.

Even just a couple weeks will have a significant impact on cake tightness.

I'd go with the patience process. Upside down could work, but you'd have some loss and you'd still get some turbulence that could toss some yeast around. You'd could get some spray from the partial opening.
Otherwise, it sounds like you'd be trying a champagne process.

Back